Taysom Hill...

I talked to my 90 year old mother last night.  I should call my parents more often than I do.  I shoot to check in with them once a week.  Most weeks I hit the mark.  Some days my mom's memory is better than others.  When she lived with me last winter, I discovered that she always sounds better, more coherent, on the phone than in person.  I try to remember that.  I try to appreciate every phone call.  Every memory she does recall of all our family.  She really hates Facebook.  She used to LOVE calling everyone with news in the family.  Now...she'll be a few days behind calling about the latest birth, hospital visit, or travel log, and then she'll say, "You probably saw it on Facebook."  My sweet Mom.  I love her.

Last night she was about average memory wise.  I told her that I wasn't a grandmother yet.  She said, "Oh, that's right.  Who are we waiting for?  Ah, ah, who is having a baby?"  I reminded her that my son Matthew's wife was having the baby.  "That's right," she said.  We ran through family news...some new, some old. 

We had been chatting for a about 15 minutes when she said, "BYU is having a good season.  They won their first game."  I told her that they had won their first two games.  Then, what she said next shocked me. 

"Well, they have a good quarterback.  His name is Taysom Hill."

Seriously?  My mother can't remember my son's name and yet she remembers the BYU quarterback's name?  I laughed pretty hard. 

My mother was the subject of several SFB posts last winter when she lived with me.  What a special time that was...yes, it had it's challenges.  But I treasure the memory of having them under my same roof for that extended time.  My mom was 40 years old when I was born.  I grew up always being very conscious of her age.  I never thought she would see me raise all my children.  And here she is witnessing me become a grandmother.  Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is longevity.  That even though my Mom's memory is compromised, her love for her family is not.  I feel it every time I talk to her.  I hear her love for me in my own memories of advice that she's given me through the years.  Longevity is an SFB, a blessing.  I am grateful. 

Outfit of the Day:  Loft light peach cardigan, Nordstrom Rack geometric print blouse, Mossimo black skinny jeans, Banana Republic statement necklace, Sofft black patent sandals. 

I love my Mom!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts