Saturdays

Remember when you didn't know what anyone was doing over the weekend until it was over?  Until you went back to school on Monday and heard about the parties you weren't invited to or the trip to Friendly's after the game that you didn't know about?  Ya.  Me too.  

A few weeks ago, I was looking at another Saturday at home.  The first couple in January were refreshing after an...at-home holiday.  But by the third Saturday in a row, I wasn't putting up with it.  January in Tennessee is usually pretty tolerable weather. It was going to be dry, but cold, in the 30s.  I decided a day, no, an afternoon trip was in order.  

Doug and I, along with Claude, drove about 90 minutes southeast to Monteagle/Sewanee.  The University of the South-Sewanee is there.  The University campus and land is called The Domain.  Running a 20 mile perimeter around the domain is the perimeter trail.  Click on the links to read about the area and the trails.


Now, we've done several hikes up in this region. But this was an afternoon outing just to get out of the house and get outside.  We ate lunch at The Mountain Goat Market and drove down to the Memorial Cross on the campus.  There's plenty of parking, and the perimeter trail runs right in front of the cross.  We walked 30 minutes to the right, sat at a pretty little waterfall, then turned around and walked back.  There's a spectacular view to the valley below from the cross.  We snagged a bench and even caught a little sunshine.  And then drove home.

Now this afternoon event surely would not rival a middle schooler's trip to Friendly's.  But is was just what we needed.  

Nowadays, I see people's social media posts of all their kids games and activities.  My heart used to hurt when I'd see them.  As a mom, watching my kids do what they love (basketball, baseball, cheerleading, football) was a mom highlight.  I never minded running all over the place on a Saturday cheering them on, bringing the snacks, the bags, the chairs.  It was truly some of the best times of my life. But now, I love Saturdays too.  I love the time I'm able to spend with my husband, connecting after a busy week.  I love my long bike rides, or early morning runs.  I love time to go to lunch and a walk, even if it means 3 hours of driving.  Saturdays are my sweet fringe benefit.  Today's and yesterday's.  We can't turn back time, so make something of today.  It doesn't have to be an amazing, grand activity.  But making the most of what it is will make it memorable, and maybe even amazing!

Outfit of the day:  A few more pieces from my Ann Taylor 70% off sale last month.  Red cardigan sweater, black/white blouse, target black jeans.  The cardigan is unstructured and soft.  And a really pretty color of red.  I love it.

Some of our favorite lazy Saturday activities are walking a Main Street of a small town nearby, trying a new restaurant, exploring local state parks, visiting a new store even if its 3 hours away (I have a VERY tolerant husband) or meeting out-of-town friends halfway.  We've got time.  Do it.

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts