Think Plants, Not Light Switches

If you follow along on Instagram, you might be tired of all this talk about succulents.  It's where my head has been.  It's where I've lived the last few days.  Lots of thoughts about succulents, seedlings, dead plants and the promise of greener days ahead.

I let my succulent pot freeze on the porch last fall. The only plant I was disappointed in losing was the one pictured. This picture is from last summer. I don't even know the name of it. Its fabulous.  The ruffles that form along the edges of the plant are seeds. Each year, seedlings drop, and new succulents grow the following summer. I thought I'd just buy another plant at the greenhouse. Unfortunately, there were none to be found.  

As I was cleaning out the pot full of mushy, dead succulents, I found a few little green seedlings. I couldn't believe it. A few of my favorite plant's babies survived! I promptly gathered them and replanted them inside. They have a prominent spot on my windowsill during these winter days. With not much care, these seedlings should turn in to the beautiful succulents of last summer.

Ok.  Keep following...Part B of the story.

I was able to get out on a ride the other day with a biker chick.  The same one that I told I wanted a medal (click here if you didn't read that post).  We were talking about life.  About growth.  About change.  This biker chick is a gift in my life. I'm sad she's not your biker chick too.  Everyone needs someone like her.  She said to me, we need to think plants, not light switches. Um, what?

I'm feeling humbled tonight.  Of course, everything about life: aging, loving, compassion, forgiveness, triumphs over stumbling blocks...we need to think plants.  All of this takes time.  Just like my little succulent seedlings.  I sure would like to take the easier way around and flip the light switch.  Immediate triumph.  Immediate growth.  But that just doesn't happen.   So plants are my Sweet Fringe Benefit today.  Growth from seedlings to fully grown, seed-producing succulents, that sometimes get burned in the winter cold, and we need to wait for the seedlings to grow again.  Think plants.  Gosh, that's brilliant.  

Thank you Biker Chick.


Outfit of the Day:  Well, it was hair day.  Thus the hat!  But tonight, no more gray roots.  Zyia red joggers, Target A New Day striped t-shirt, Old Navy Sweatshirt Jacket.  The bright red joggers have been a fun addition to my athleisure wardrobe.  Zyia is sort of the Tupperware of athletic clothing.  You have to buy it through a rep, or someone having a party on Facebook.  They're bright, soft and comfy.  The T-shirt is an absolute favorite.  I bought at least 10 of these this year and gave them out as gifts. And the sweatshirt jacket? I have a secret. I bought it for my husband for Christmas. And then never gave it to him. Today, I took it out and thought, I wonder if that would fit me.  Ha!  It did!  And very nicely!

Thank you for your encouragement.  It means so much to me.

Nanette


Comments

Popular Posts