I've got a pooch...

I love people watching.  Standing in line, sitting at stoplights, walking the mall, pushing a grocery cart, sitting in the back row at a church meeting:  it's like reality TV in real life.  I take it all in: body language, what they're wearing, what they're buying, who they're talking to.  Of course, I'm a little obsessed with age these days.  So I always look at their faces, men and women, look at the lines on their faces, and try to determine how old they are.  I know the roundabout ages of some acquaintances just because I know the ages of their kids.  Today, I'm going to address one recent observation.  A woman I know that is about my age, or a couple years older than me, has a little tummy pooch.  (Don't judge me yet.)  She is a thin person.  I know that she is very active.  She dresses in a way that always flatters her body...and yet, she still has a pooch.  I was so happy!  Because i realized at 50 something...pooches are natural.  And although there is absolutely nothing scientific about my conclusion, I think we all need to take a little pressure off ourselves. 

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is realizing that the body that God gave me is going through exactly what it was designed to do.  I know I can do better with eating less sweets.  But I exercise, I eat a healthy dinner at least 5 out of the 7 nights a week.  I don't drink alcohol.  I don't smoke.  And yet, I have a tummy pooch, upper arms that could rival thighs, and some extra baguettes on my back.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't care, and shouldn't try to look our best.  But seriously?  At 49, the average American woman should have a pooch.  And that's my sfb for the years to come. 

You may think I'm looking for excuses.  Maybe.  But I figure if that woman I was "people watching" has a pooch...then I definitely should too.

Outfit of the Day:  Loft black eyelet jacket, Loft terra cotta blouse, Banana Republic khacki's, Franco Sarto black patent leather sandals, Emaack Designs multi-strand necklace and bracelet.  This jacket is from about 3 years ago.  I noticed Loft has similar pieces this year. 

Be kind to yourself...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts