500 Hundred Miles...

I spent 7 hours in the car today, driving to visit my daughter-in-law and son for about 3 hours.  Those numbers don't really make sense on paper...but it was worth every mile, every minute.

When my oldest son was 6 years old, we moved away from New England.  I had thought we were going to live there forever.  We had purchased a 4 bedroom colonial that would have been plenty of house to last us through retirement.  But, that's not what happened, and we ended up in Florida.  Moving away from family and friends, comfort and familiarity, I became a full-time mom.  I remember vividly driving to look at our house that was under construction and listening to the song "I would walk 500 miles" with my two boys in the back.  We'd all sing along.  It was a catchy chanty tune.  And I'd think of the life and friends that I had left behind in Massachusetts.

Fast forward to when my oldest was a missionary in Argentina for 2 years, just as my second son is a missionary in Brazil now.  I often thought of that song, and that indeed, I would walk 500 miles just to be a fly on the wall where my son was serving. 

So when the opportunity arose to drive 500 miles (round trip) to visit my son and his wife today, there just wasn't even a decision to make.


I haven't hidden the fact that there are days in my 49 year old life that are open to flexibility...a.k.a. I have nothing to do.  And today was one of those days.  I dropped my daughter off at her early morning Bible Study at 6 am and hit the road.  My husband did pick her up from school, but I was back in time to do the afternoon cheer practice run, plus a couple extra errands.  "I would drive 500 hundred miles" is my Sweet Fringe Benefit of being 49 years old. 

Please...don't roll your eyes.  I recognize that I have a pretty sweet gig right now.  But what am I supposed to do...I don't have an infant that has a nap schedule, I don't have room mom year-end responsibilities, and it was raining so I couldn't ride my bike (that's sort of a joke...sort of).  In keeping with the purpose of this blog...I find the good, the advantages, the sweet fringe benefits of my stage and age in life. 

Outfit of the Day:  Joe Fresh black cardigan, Loft black blouse, Loft tan curvy fit modern skinny jeans, Tom's linen wedges, Emaack Designs necklace and bracelets.

Find your sweet fringe benefits, and not the nasties...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts