Big hair and palazzo pants...

I have got to start posting earlier in the day...these late nights are killing me!

My thoughts for the blog today were to work through some of the angst I was feeling about my baby turning fifteen years old.  But after my evening...that angst is gone and I'm just going to have to revisit the boohooing another day.  Or not.

I am so happy that my daughter turned 15! Because at 15, she wanted to take a couple of friends to a concert.  The closest one to her birthday was Keith Urban's "All 4 the Hall" concert to benefit the Country Music Hall of Fame.  And, that meant I got to go too.  I know some parents let their kids go to concerts by themselves...heck, I did that a couple of months ago.  But really, I'm not that comfortable with dropping my teenage daughter off at the door of a concert venue.  Some of her birthday parties of yesteryear included a hula girl party with Princess Lei-Lani (still can't believe I didn't get a picture of that Kate), a sleepover without the sleepover, chuck e cheese, Pump it Up, a backyard bbq complete with waterslides and crafts...and mother exhaustion.  Her third birthday party she spent hiding her head in my chest with about 8 little girls all around her.  Truly, her 15th birthday celebration was one I enjoyed, and would've picked as an activity myself!  Kind of crazy that we're getting to this point already...but I'm not going there.  Yes, once again, my daughter's 15th birthday is my Sweet Fringe Benefit today.

I wanted to share a couple thoughts from the evening as well.  The crowd at the concert ranged from 12-85.  I have to say, I was a little surprised to see some mature adults in the crowd (seriously, 80's). One of my favorite performances of the night was Vince Gill singing an old Buck Owens song from 50 years ago, "Together Again."  It kind of stung at first...because he introduced the song saying that it was released 50 years ago (didn't think anything of it) in 1964 (wait, that's the year I was born...ouch). Granted, this is what my daughter and her friends were doing during the song...


Yes, all three of them were on their phones.  Music does bring the ages together.  The performers have such a respect for those who came before them.  Several Dolly Parton song's were sung by young stars tonight.  In the music business, age does matter.  There's always the young rising star that comes on the scene.  But the influence of the older generation continues, and the young rising stars seem to recognize it.  I just love that.  The only performance I didn't enjoy was one the girls loved...darn...not a truly universal night.  It was some song "bottoms up" or something like that.  I know...I'm showing my age. I just wasn't impressed.

Outfit of the Day:  Okay, so I took a risk on the palazzo pants.  But a middle aged, slightly overweight male jogger did compliment me on them tonight...ya, that might not be good. We all got a good laugh at that!  Mossimo Blue/blush palazzo pants from Target, Loft soft muave blouse, Emaack Designs Magnesite necklace, Vince Camuto wedges.  The pants have a nice fit to them.  They are a bit narrower in the thigh, then flare out from the knee.  I thought they had a little more shape to them than some of the other palazzo pants I've tried on this spring.  Although, let me make one note.  Looking at this picture, I'm feeling like a different styled top would look better with the outfit.  Sometimes you don't get it right the first time.  I'm thinking maybe the blouse worn untucked with a wide belt, or perhaps a linen t-shirt with a casual jacket.  This is how I roll...I keep tweeking, reworking until I get to a place I like. Whether it's my outfit or decorating a room.  

Oh, and did you notice my "big" hair?  I was hoping Keith would call me down on stage tonight...oh well, another goal to still reach...

It's not that I didn't "enjoy" my daughters other birthday parties.  Of course I did.  Of course I revelled in her enjoying her friends, presents, cake and activities.  But this year, it was more on my level.  I can't change where she is at.  You've heard that before.  So I'm finding the sfb...and it was a good one!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts