I'm changing the rules...

Oh my holy heck. My daughter drove to church tonight. She has only had her Learners' Permit for 3 days.
I know that I'm not supposed to focus on the "nasties" of my age on this blog. But...it's my blog...and I'm changing the rules...even if it is just for today.

I can't believe it's legal for her to drive. She has at her fingertips (and toetips) a 2-ton weapon. What if she steps on the gas instead of the brake, or drive instead of reverse, or makes a wide right turn in to another vehicle. That's just a frighteningly huge nasty of my age.

Everytime we go anywhere, I hear, "Can I drive?"  And a simple no is never enough.  It's "No, it's 4:15 pm and there's too much traffic," or "No, it's dark," or "Heck no, my nerves are fried already I can't handle it."  I hate being the meanie.

And then, there's the emotional nastiness of my baby learning to drive.  I don't remember feeling this emotional angst when my boys started driving.  Actually, by the time they got their license, I was relieved.  Relieved of my chauffering duties to the new driver, and happy for the assistance in my chauffering to others.  But this one...this is getting too close to my girl being independent.  Not needing me.  What will I do when she no longer needs a ride to cheer, or a friend's house, or to youth night?  Uh oh.  I am really not feeling good about this.

This is the problem when you focus on the nastiness of being 49 years old.  I start thinking that the best of my life is over.  What's there to look forward to?  What purpose am I going to have?

Here we go.  Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is seeing my daughter as a successful focused young adult.  You might be saying, "Huh?  How'd you get that?"  Well, test taking is not one of my daughter's strengths.  As a matter of fact, I didn't think she'd pass her exam on the first try.  And then, she did.  She studied, and read, and took practice tests all weekend long.  She applied for the school attendance form, remembered to pick it up, and sat in line by herself outside the testing center.  All without my encouragement.  Really, it gives me hope for her future.  She is really getting it.  And I'm proud of her.

Outfit of the Day:  Target Merona gray white striped seersucker blazer, Loft blue lace ruffle trimmed tshirt, Denizen skinny jeans, Talbot's floral statement necklace, Vince Camuto woven wedges. 

I'm still going to say "No" for a while, being very aware of the weather forecast and traffic times.  But soon she will be my constant chauffer...

Nanette


Comments

Popular Posts