Odd man out...

Today was the last day of school.  I've had this feeling of melancholy all day.

Gourmet popsicles...the perfect way to start the summer
My daughter had a great day.  She took her last final and got a 96 on it.  She also checked her grades online and came very close to reaching her goals that were quite lofty.  She went to lunch and shopped with several girlfriends this afternoon.  Hung out in her room with the same girlfriends.  Went to cheerleading practice.  Just a true celebration of the beginning of summer. 

I was just the chauffeur.  And the bank.

That was it.  There were no promotion ceremonies.  No field days.  No teacher gifts.  No annual trip to the pool on the last day of school.  It felt like just a normal day to me.  I don't like this. 

I know.  I'm supposed to find the Sweet Fringe Benefit in this.  I know...some of you young moms are probably thinking I'm crazy.  I know your backs are tired from sitting on hard bleachers during the 2 1/2 hour promotion ceremony.  I know your bank accounts are unusually low because of all the teacher gifts and school party donations you've given.  I know you've missed your favorite workout just to be there for field day or one last field trip.  But really...all I feel like is the "odd man out."

Really...what's my sfb today?  Because I'm not feeling it.  I did have my favorite salad today, by myself, as I waited for the call to return to pick the girls up from the "school's out" celebration.  And, I guess it's a Sweet Fringe Benefit of 49 that they still need a ride, and that they're still in high school, and not graduated.  Sometimes sfb's are not the first choice, but they're the only choice.  

Outfit of the day:  JCrew factory pink/white gingham blouse, Merona (Target) blue eyelet lace pants, JCrew Factory statement necklace, yellow skinny belt.  I love navy and pink. 

School's out for the summer...

Nanette



Comments

Popular Posts