"I told them I probably couldn't"...

I just picked my daughter up from an outing with her cheer team.  And I'm celebrating a small victory.

After practice this afternoon, the cheerleaders all dressed up "cute" and went out to dinner.  From there, they went to a neighborhood pool for a couple of hours.  My daughter called me to come pick her up at 10 pm.

Rewind to yesterday when this "team bonding" event was being planned.  As my daughter was detailing the evenings events, it ended with...as it usually does with girls..."And we're sleeping over so-n-so's."  Before I even could ask, "Are you sleeping over?" she told me, "I told them I probably couldn't sleep over."  Bam.  Slamdunk.  Victory.

I hate sleepovers.  I don't like them at my house (but I'd rather have them here than somewhere else) and I definitely don't like them at other people's houses.  In this day and age when there are so many worries, I'm just not usually willing to take the risk.  Whether it's inappropriate movies, computer content, older brothers that I haven't met, or drama driven by sleep deprived teenage girls...the risk just doesn't outweigh the reward.

Raising teenagers is not always the easiest job.  There are times when they make you feel crazy, literally.  Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is the small victory of my daughter not even asking if she can sleepover.  I'm not sure exactly what happened...did she just know I'd say no?  Did she feel like it wasn't what she wanted to do?  Is she finally accepting our parameters?  Most likely...she just didn't want to listen to me moan and groan and hmmm and haaaaa.  Whatever the reason, I'm just smiling and counting the small victory.  And that's what being 49 years old gives you.  You just be grateful for the times there isn't a battle...and don't expect it to happen like this every time.  Right here right now. 

Yesterday's Outfit of the Day:  CAbi pale blue jacket and shell, Ann Taylor white lace pencil skirt, Emaack Designs multistrand necklace.  CAbi is a clothing line sold through home shows.  I don't buy much from them, as I don't like paying full price.  But I'm usually quite please with the item
or two I buy...this jacket and shell included.

Today's Outfit of the Day:  Ann Taylor white zip front cardigan, JCrew Factory navy shell, Banana Republic Factory Store gray/white medallion print pants, Born Silver flats, Emaack Designs lapis/coral/pearl statement necklace.  I had another job interview today.  The office is casual, so I thought this would be appropriate.

I'm just so grateful for no contention tonight in my home...gotta remember to give my girl an extra hug in the morning...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts