Nailing it?

Wow.  What a difference a week makes.  My last post I was missing my sweet girl being at home.  I spent the last several days with my daughter and her good friend.  I picked them up at the church youth conference, spent a couple days driving all over southeastern Utah sightseeing and hiking, feeling that I was on a fantastic girl trip with my daughter and her friend.  I thought, "Wow, I am nailing this mother of teenage girl thing.  I am so cool."

Within minutes of arriving home late last night, it became very apparent that my daughter enjoyed the trip only because of her friend, and not because of her mother that is super cool and totally awesome.

I've spent most of the day feeling like I was walking through mud, both physically and emotionally (other than my 35 mile ride at 6 am this morning.)  I am exhausted from lack of sleep and all the traveling.  But I'm also a bit stung by my daughter's teenage behavior.  And it seems to be an exceptional burden and "nasty" of my age.  I'm really going to have to talk myself in to this sfb tonight. 

I like to give advice.  I feel like my 49 years have given me a variety of experiences to share and well...share I do.  But tonight, I need to take some of my own advice that I've shared with several friends that are mothers of teenagers.  First of all, everything will be brighter tomorrow morning after I get 8 hours of sleep in my own bed.  Second, 15 year olds usually don't prefer their mothers over their friends (and if yours does...don't tell me about it.)  Third, based on my own experience of my two sons that used to be 15, my daughter will eventually see how much I really did nail this teenage girl thing...and that I am so cool.  My own advice is my sweet fringe benefit tonight. 


Outfit of the Day:  Loft black and white striped gauze peasant dress, Loft Metallic elastic/brown leather belt, Black/silver Tom's wedges, Emaack Designs silver "girlfriend" necklace.  I love a lightweight dress in the summer.  Cool and comfortable. 

Thanks for being patient this summer.   Although I'm a bit low today, I've feel many Sweet Fringe Benefits of my age daily.  I promise I will share in the coming days!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts