Rose-colored glasses...

I have rose-colored glasses...or at least rose-colored lenses.  My husband gave me a nifty pair of sunglasses last year for my 49th birthday.  I use them exclusively for cycling because I just don't have a good track record with my everyday sunglasses.  I lose them, I sit on them, I scratch them...I just know my history.  So my cycling glasses are kept in a case in the cabinet when I'm not riding.  They have three different interchangeable lenses: a dark lense for the brightest days, a clear lense for low light, and the rose colored lense for "maximizing an object's definition and enhances depth perception."

I know...you're probably getting tired of all the stories about riding my bike.  I just blog about whatever comes to the forefront of my mind when I sit down at the computer.  I keep thinking about a conversation I had with my husband today on our 30 mile ride in 75 degree weather (I had to throw that in.  It was a spectacular day.)

Doug made a comment that he loved his new sunglasses I gave him yesterday for his birthday.  He then asked me which lenses I had in, and I replied, "I'm wearing rose-colored glasses!"  He said, "Oh, well how do I look?"  I, of course, said, "Perfect!"  In typical Doug fashion, he then replied, "well you don't need rose-colored glasses to see that."

After that conversation, I began to think about how age can be "rose-colored glasses".  I'm ashamed to say that I used to compare my husband to friend's husbands.  You always lose when you do that.  I was thinking today that I haven't done that in a long time.  And as a result, he does look pretty perfect...for me.  I remember hearing about gifts that girlfriend's husbands gave them, or kind, flowery compliments that were given, and it would just eat me up with jealousy.   This applies to any type of comparison of your life to others.  I'm not perfect, but I do it a lot less than I used to, and that's a Sweet Fringe Benefit of being 49 years old!  Yes, getting older brings clarity to what is important and "enhances depth perception,"  just like the rose-colored lenses!

Outfit of the Day:  J Crew Gold lurex v-neck sweater, J Crew Factory pink v-neck t-shirt, Denizen skinny jeans, Me Too thong sandals, Rhinestone statement necklace (TJ Maxx). 

My glasses are tucked away in the cabinet for my next ride.  Wish I could say I'd always see my life through "rose-colored glasses"... but for the right here, right now, I'm thinking it feels pretty darn close.  Life is sweet...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts