End of the 1st Quarter...

March 31st...the end of the first quarter of 2014.  If you haven't read my "No More Resolutions" post from New Year's Day, you're going to want to read it for this post to make the most sense.  (Click here)

If you remember, I struggled with New Year's resolutions because so many of the important aspects of my life are out of my control.  Already in the first quarter of this year, my husband changed jobs and is now working from home (huge change), as well as the big announcement that I am going to be a grandmother!  I had no say in either life changing event.  No control.  But both are good adjustments to my future.

Instead of "resolutions", I committed to working on 3 goals, that my cousin calls "Specials Works in Progress".  The idea that they are NOT resolutions or demands makes it a little easier to stomach for me.  The name implies that I won't be perfect, but just like any project I tackle, I just want to be a little further down the road on it than I was a couple of months ago.

Here's my update:

Spiritual Health:  I am currently up-to-date on my Book of Mormon reading program that I am following on Instagram.  I fell about 2 weeks behind in the month of March, partially because I was traveling half the month, but also because I don't have a set time that I read every day.  So I'm going to continue this goal, because it hasn't become a "natural" part of my day yet.  I miss a day here and there and then need to double or triple my reading.  The point of a DAILY devotional is just that...so that I DAILY receive the strength and inspiration that I know it can bring.  I will be reading each morning, before my workout, so that I can have the entire day to reflect on what I read.  Have any of you added a daily scripture or inspirational reading each day to your routine?  What are you reading? Feel free to post in the comments section of the blog.

Physical Health:  I had one diet coke last week at Chipotle.  It was delicious.  That's about my average this quarter...one per week.  It's not intentional to have one a week, but that seems to be my guideline these days...to only have one a week.  That's working for me.  It doesn't take any restraint or effort. I need another work in progress.

Gosh, with Physical Health there is ALWAYS something to work on for me because my eating habits are so bi-polar. One issue I struggle with is moderation.  I'm going to work on only having "two" of anything that isn't "healthy".  That could be too vague of a goal.  But for now, "two" means two bites, two pieces (not pkgs), and on special occasions, one serving...one cupcake, one scoop of icecream.  Sweets are usually my issue.  And what happens is I have none...and then I have LOTS.  So my special work in progress is moderation.

Emotional Health:  I celebrated 100 posts to my blog during the first quarter.  I really can't express how much this process has helped me.  So thank you for reading...and keeping the page views ticking upward.  I will continue blogging, but this has also become part of my daily routine.  And thus, I need another goal for this category.  I have an idea...

My daughter painted a canvas this weekend and wrote several goals on it to display in her room.  I'm going to "steal" one of her goals for my "special work in progress" under emotional health.  I'm going to "try new things."  I think that is so insightful of her.  Branching out and taking risks, big or small, is invigorating.  I have found that my age brings a natural stagnancy that isn't emotionally healthy.  I'm excited about this "work in progress".  I will keep you posted on what I "try".  Today I planted mixed greens and arugula seeds in pots on my patio.  Never done that before.  Why not...it cost me $3.00 in seed packets.

Sweet Fringe Benefits is a mindset.  I've said before, I'm NOT a Pollyanna.  And that's exactly why LOOKING, DIGGING, SEARCHING for the good, the sweet, the positive to being almost 50 years old is changing me.  As I reflect on the first quarter of the year, I see several HUGE Sweet Fringe Benefits that I had no control over, no say in, and not even a thought about on January 1st:  expecting a grandson (yes, It's a Boy!), an island getaway with my husband when he was in between jobs, and now having him work from home...I like these unexpected changes.  Every age has Sweet Fringe Benefits...I focus on those of a 49 year old's...

Sunday's Outfit of the Day:  Love this neutral color palette.  Loft peach no button blazer, Loft taupe ruffle sleeveless shell, Loft taupe pencil skirt, JCrew Factory statement necklace, Sofft Sandals from several years ago, yellow skinny belt.

Outfit of the Day:  Tan blouse (several years old), Loft curvy fit white jeans, Dansko sandals, Emaack Designs statement necklace.  You will see this necklace over and over.  My sister made it for me to wear to my son's wedding.  Keep her in mind if you have a special occasion coming up.

Perhaps in the 2nd quarter I will "try something new" that today, hasn't even crossed my mind.  Pretty cool prospect that at 49, there are still surprises around the corner...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts