I am mostly an observer...

I never had a "Spring Break" when I was growing up in the Northeast.  We had February vacation and April Vacation.  My family owned a condo in Vail, Colorado.  So one of those vacations we DROVE 2 1/2 days to ski for the week.  My mother had the road trip down to a science:  what time we'd leave, where we'd stay the night, the food she packed in the cooler, and the makeshift beds she set up in the back of the station wagon.  The week was spent skiing as a family.  Riding the gondola and chairlifts with siblings and parents.  We never traveled for both vacations.  I usually spent the week we were home sewing a new spring wardrobe.  I loved that.  I think my Mom did too.  She was a smart lady...kept me close to home sewing.  Dang, I need to teach my daughter to sew.

Ever since we moved to the South, we have had "Spring Break".  And I learned very quickly that I better have a plan for the week...because just staying around home trying to keep little boys and girls busy doesn't really work...because all their friends left town.  Even when we LIVED in Florida, people left for spring break.  Where I live, I would say 75% of the people I know head to the Gulf...Destin, FL or Gulf Shores, AL for Spring Break.  This year, my daughter and I are one of those 75%.  My husband is working...no Spring Break for him.  I'm just going to post a couple of observations of my time thus far, as this is my "first" trip to the "mecca" of Spring Break.

1.  These are not family vacations.  Everywhere you look are teenagers and college students...without parents.  This is THEIR spring break.  Not the parents.

2.  Mid March through the first week in April would not be a good time to come here if you wanted a "family" getaway, girlfriend trip, or couples retreat.

3.  Apparently, it's okay to wear a bikini when its cloudy, breezy and 60 degrees to go get ice cream...because, its Spring Break.  (I guess I'm just really old fashioned, but the way some of these girls dress...SHEESH.)

4.  Girls can spend a ridiculously crazy amount of time on their phones looking at social media.  Especially when it's raining outside.

5.  A beach trip can get very expensive if the weather isn't good for the beach.

In keeping with my Sweet Fringe Benefit blog theme, there are plenty of sfb's to be found in my daughter's Spring Break trip.  I love that I have a friend that invited my daughter and I to come along on her son's "Spring Break".  It makes the KID spring break feel a little bit of your own having a friend to share it with.  I love that my daughter wasn't ashamed to ride bikes with me today throughout the SPRING BREAKER-infested town of Seaside.  I don't know how long that'll last, but I'm holding on to that sfb for sure. 

I miss the Spring Breaks we took with the high school baseball team.  I miss the spring breaks we took to Disney World and having a little 3 year old look at the princesses all lit up in the electric light parade.  I miss Spring Break being a family affair.  But with my husband's new job, it wasn't going to be family vacation this year no matter what.  And in a few short years, Spring Break week will be just a normal week for me.  So I will see the sfb for what it is, I'm here with my daughter.  Enjoying being an observer of her Spring Break.  That's got to be good enough for this year...

Yesterday's Outfit of the Day:  LOFT navy v-neck cardigan, JCrew purple crew neck tshirt, LOFT mint green geometric shorts, yellow skinny belt, Me Too thong sandals, Emaack Designs coral double strand necklace. 

Today's Outfit of the Day:  JCrew Factory gray/white striped boatneck t-shirt, JCrew Factory stone khacki pants, Emaack Designs multi-strand necklace, Me Too thong metallic sandals, royal blue skinny belt.

The sun should return tomorrow.  Hoping for a beach day...even if it is a little cool. 

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts