Call of shame...

Good-bye Spring Break!

Yesterday started off pretty great!  I got out of the house early to get a ride in before heading to the beach.  I always feel a bit victorious getting out of bed early...rising above the desire to sleep in.  It was a beautiful morning.  I had ridden for about an hour and realized that my back tire was getting low.  No problem.  There were several bike shops along the way.  I stopped to put air in my tire...and that's where the problem began...

The bike shop's compressor had a different head on the nozzle...that wouldn't fit my valve.

So at this point, I'm still pretty confident because I'm prepared.  I have an extra tube, a CO2 cartridge to inflate it, AND I took a class about a month ago to learn how to repair a flat.

I made a decision to use my CO2 cartridge and add air to my existing tube.  That was a mistake.

I hopped on my bike and within a mile, it was flat.  And now I've already used my CO2 cartridge.

It's okay...maybe there's still some air left in the cartridge.  No big deal.  Be calm.  I'm still confident.  I took my back wheel off, removed the old tube, checked it for puncture marks, checked the tire for whatever caused the flat in the first place, placed the new tube in the tire, pulled the tire back over the rim of the wheel, and then, my confidence began to wane...

I used the last of the CO2 cartridge to inflate the tube, and there was just a spit left.  Dang.  Still flat.

I proceeded to put my wheel back on the bike...which I might add, was the most complicated part of this entire process.  I knew I would be walking my bike, hoping to find another bike shop that might have the right air valve.

I walked about a mile (in bike shoes with clips) without finding another shop.  It was in this moment I realized I was close to making the "call of shame" to have someone come and pick me up.  And then, I noticed a couple cyclists coming up the road, and decided to flag them down, and ask if they had a CO2 cartridge.  They couldn't have been kinder.  They were both from Nashville as well.  We shared a few cycling stories after emptying their CO2 cartridge in to my tire, and we were both on our way.

So here's my SFB.  Being 49, I admit, I'm confident about A LOT of things.  Probably too many.  And then, something comes out of the blue and knocks you off your feet, or lets the air out of your tire, and you realize you are NOT as prepared as you thought you were.  Yesterday it was the bike repair.  Other days it's coping with your children being adults.  And other days it's hearing about a good friend who's dad has died.  And realizing once again that this 49 year old age does bring some pretty nasty side effects.  All I can do is find the sweet fringe benefits in this age...and try to be prepared for the nasties when they come.  And when that preparation fails, I have family and friends that are more than willing to answer my "call of shame" if needed.  Yup...that's my SFB.

Outfit of the Day: JCrew Factory periwinkle cardigan, Mossimo coral V-neck tshirt, LOFT white jeans, Emaack turquoise and coral necklace.  So, can I wear my white jeans when I'm not at the beach in March?  I think I probably will.  After spring break, I think they're fair game.

I know this was a long post...helped me see the SFB.  I was so foul when I returned home from my ride...even when everything turned out ok!  I talked to my husband and he told me, "Let go of the flat".  He was right, and the more I thought about it, and now blogged about it, the better I feel about the lesson learned.  And really, I call it the "call of shame" because I would have admitted that I had failed...that I was not fully prepared.  But really, there is never any shame in calling on a friend for help, and gratefully, I have plenty to call...

Nanette

Comments

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts