Time together...

Okay.  I need to post about one more Sweet Fringe Benefit I enjoyed from my birthday weekend.

My husband and I have been married for 27 years.  We dated for 6 years before that.  We've been a couple for a long time.  I don't understand him all the time.  And I know he doesn't "get" me all the time.  And that's okay.  We can usually mutually respect each other...and allow each other to be who we "need" to be.

I told you yesterday that my birthday trip was part business for my husband.  He actually didn't "need" to work until Monday, but that didn't stop him from taking a phone call on our hike and working at the desk in the hotel room for 2-3 hours two of the nights.  Was I bugged?  Nope.  My husband is an extremely dependable, loyal, responsible person.  He had a presentation on Monday evening, and he wanted it to be the very best it could be.  In order for him to feel like he was fully prepared, those phonecalls, emails and hours in front of the computer were "required".  It didn't ruin my birthday weekend.  It actually made it a little sweeter.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is the acceptance and understanding my husband and I have of each other.  For me, the only way to arrive at this is time:  time together.  Sure, youth has plenty of advantages.  In a marriage, there's the excitement of having children and hopes and dreams for the future.  But I say that ESPECIALLY in a marriage, time and age has more sweet fringe benefits than youth does.

If I could give my young friends a piece of advice about marriage...it's to accept your spouse for who they are.  It will bring more peace and harmony in your relationship, and joy in your homes.

Outfit of the Day:  Talbots calico print shirt dress, Talbot's magenta cardigan, Converse "shoreline" white sneakers, Emaack Designs multi-strand necklace.  This dress is quite comfortable.  I think I surprised a few people wearing these sneakers today...I'm more of a heels kind of gal.  But I think they are fun...and I'm glad I bought them.

I know I have plenty of habits and qualities that my husband has come to accept and understand...and I love him even more because of it...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts