Caught off guard...

My son went on a vacation this past weekend...a vacation I usually would be taking him on...not one he planned, paid for and went on just he and his wife.

We moved from Massachusetts 17 years ago.  My boys were 6 and 3 1/2 years old.  We tried to make it back there at least once a year.  When my children were younger, before they had baseball, football and cheerleading commitments, we were pretty successful in reaching that goal.  Even so, family trips to Boston were as frequent as possible.  There were always family dinners at Nana's, trips in to Boston, visits with friends, and if we were lucky, a week on Nantucket. 

So when my sweet daughter-in-law bought plane tickets for she and Matthew to go to Boston, it warmed my heart.  She wanted Matthew to be able to visit his Nana, like they have visited hers.  He had not been to Massachusetts in over 4 years!  Missionary service, college, internships, a wedding had all taken up his time.  I was so happy they were going...so some of my emotions this weekend took me by surprise.

Looking for shells...Coatue, Nantucket circa 1995
Nana's house, Donut Express, family dinners, Nantucket...those are all things we do as a family...like my little family...Doug, me, Matthew, Harrison and Madeleine.  Just the five of us.  I know things change.  I know children grow up.  I know.  So why did I feel left out this weekend?  All these emotions really caught me off guard.  I love my daughter-in-law.  I love my adult son and the man he is.  So OF COURSE he is going to do things without me.  Ugh.  One more adjustment (nasty) to turning 50.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is the souvenir my son brought me from Boston.  He actually called me from one of my favorite stores there and asked if I "needed" anything.  Well, no one ever "needs" anything from The Christmas Tree Shop, but I did need that phone call and that remembrance.  I don't want pity, I don't want anything to change.  I love the legacy of family that my husband and I have created...that it was enough for my son to go "home" to Nana's without me.  Sweet Fringe Benefits are always better than the nasty.

Outfit of the Day:  Liz Claiborne (JCPenny) white blazer, Loft white shell, Talbot's mustard yellow pencil skirt, Calvin Klein ice blue suede sandals, Emaack Designs statement necklace.  This is the skirt I wore to a wedding a few weeks ago, that I had the matching top to.  It looks totally different paired with the white on top, instead of looking like a dress.  Love the different options of matching separates.

Weird are all these different emotions that you THINK you've overcome or adjusted to.  I'm over it now...until the next unexpected emotional discovery...

Nanette

Comments

  1. I love this picture of those sweet boys. Such a beautiful place too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts