What is chutzpah?

I'm just warning you...there's no outfit of the day today.  I'm still in my bathing suit and coverup!  I spent several hours at the pool with my daughter this afternoon and I just gotta be honest...the damp suit kept me cool for several hours even after getting home.  Ahhhhhh, summer.  Today the heat index was 105 degrees.  I'm in survival mode.

I did get out early this morning for a "birthday ride" for my good friend Kate.  She wanted to ride to Puckett's Grocery in Leiper's Fork and have breakfast.  Usually when we ride, we make a quick stop to refill our water bottles and a little snack.  But today, we each ordered something yummy for breakfast and lingered for almost an hour.

While we were eating, a cyclist we had passed on the road earlier that morning starting chatting with us and asked to join us.  Kind of funny, because I instantly thought of my last blog post, "The worst that can happen is they say no...".  Here is a complete stranger, and because we all have helmets on, she joined us.  We learned about her current life situation, some hardships she's been going through, and her desire for human connection.  As I thought of my new friend throughout the day, I realized today's sweet fringe benefit...

It's really not my sweet fringe benefit.  It's my new friend's.  She said she's been cycling for 30 years.  But has recently fallen on hard times.  She is currently unemployed.  Doesn't have a group to ride with because it's mid-week, and because she doesn't ride as hard and long as she used to.  Being 60 years old and facing major changes in life, my heart hurt for her.  But what she did this morning took chutzpah (personal confidence or courage that allows someone to do or say things that may seem shocking to others ).  Instead of continuing to wallow in her angst, she hit the road.  She returned to something she loved.  She drove to an area she knew where riders would be out, to the roads she knew well.  And she reached out.  Her chutzpah is today's sweet fringe benefit.

She could've stayed home and "pretended" to make connections with people through social media.  Reached out to friends via text.  And maybe she did that too.  But getting out in the sunshine, fresh air, and returning to something she knew she loved required action.  Required "doing." 

Sunday's Outfit of the Day:  Loft black linen blazer, Loft black blouse with white piping, Banana Republic black/white geometric print skirt, Banana Republic statement necklace. 

This aging thing creates all kinds of wallowing, angst and hardship.  But I need to remember chutzpah.  Try something new, return to something familiar.  Just do. 

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts