Expectations are my worst enemy...

My sister is five years older than me.  (I love saying that.)  So, she obviously hit 50 before I did.  Five years ago.  Wow...the brilliancy of my post so far is blinding. 

The best advice she gave me about my 50th birthday is to take a trip.  To not be home on my birthday.  For her, she didn't want to be home to hear the constant reminder of Happy Birthday and Happy 50th.  For me, I didn't want to be home and have it be just another day.  Expectations are my worst enemy.  They've set me up for failure and disappointment.  I know having high expectations are akin to setting goals.  But I think, sometimes, high expectations spawn disaster.  And I didn't want that for my birthday.

My husband and I jetted away to Upstate New York, mixing his business with pleasure.  My only requirement for my birthday weekend was to go somewhere that was cooler than Tennessee, and that I'd never been before.  The Lake George region fit the bill exactly.

We stayed our first night in The Boathouse Bed and Breakfast in Bolton Landing that was literally on Lake George.  Oh my.  What a lovely place. 


We lounged in the cool breezes and just-right warm sunshine for a few hours.  No expectations.  Just soaking up the view, the moment, the togetherness, and a small reflection of the sweet 50 years I've lived.  We had no plans for dinner.  We just figured we'd walk to the little village and pick something that looked good.  We stumbled upon the Chateau on the Lake...or more like, the driveway/walkway to it.  Again, no expectations for the evening, and wow, we felt like we hit the lottery with the experience we had. 
We ordered the Cheese and Charcuterie Board, a diet coke, Lamb Lollipops, and Lemon Creme Brulee.  We spent 3 hours eating, enjoying the view, the air and each other.  


At dinner, my husband asked me, "What are you going to do the next 50 years?" 

I calmly and politely responded, "I'm not going there."  For my 50th birthday, I lived in the moment.  Enjoyed the day.  Without expectation, without too much thought of what's ahead.  And I think that was really important, and what I'm trying to focus on now.  Do you need to ask why?  Really?  I know there are many good years ahead...but I'm certain not 50 years.  So I'm just not going there.

Below are a few more pictures of the rest of the weekend.  We rented some really sweet road bikes and cycled 45 miles.  Found a picturesque and challenging 4.5 mile hike.  Ate my favorite ice cream sundae.  Took a private boat tour of Lake George on a Hacker Wooden Boat.

Pilot's Knob
A Reese's Pieces Sundae is hard to find in the South
Our view from our table at Chateau on the Lake
Our view out our 3-season porch at The Boathouse Bed &Breakfast
So as you can imagine, today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is my sister's fantastic advice.  Even though I heeded her advice for a different reason than she gave it, the weekend of my birthday was perfect because of it.  You may think it's selfish...what about celebrating with family?  Well, my daughter left for cheer camp, and my son was on a business trip.  Celebrating with family was not possible.  I think 50 means "it's my party and I'll cry if I want to"... meaning, it's my birthday, and I'll do it the way I want to.  And fortunately, I have a husband, family and friends that respected that.

Outfit of the Day:  Mossimo black/white matte jersey dress, Loft black linen jacket, Franco Sarto black patent leather sandals, Banana Republic statement necklace.  I love this dress...I bought it at Target before my birthday trip, but never got a chance to wear it.  Lake George just wasn't a place for a dress and heels.  The dress has rouching on the side, but doesn't fully camoflage my "curves".  So I put a jacket on and it's great.  Cardigans and jackets are my best friends in the fashion world. 

Thanks for indulging my self-centered birthday posts...

Nanette

Comments

  1. Wow! That trip looked incredible. I'm glad that it was everything you wanted. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts