Pregaming...

My 50th birthday is in two days.  And the celebration has begun...thank heavens.

It was a particularly frustrating day for me today.  Returning to work has been more difficult than I thought.  I know it's all about getting adjusted to a new routine...but for today, I haven't adjusted yet.

A group of gals that I get together with occasionally had a little "pregame" birthday celebration for me tonight.  It was exactly what I needed...because I had begun to have doubts about the strategy I've undertaken over the last 10 months...kick the door wide open, find the Sweet Fringe Benefits, live in the right here right now.  A few thoughts of "self-absorbtion" (i.e. that's what I am) also crossed my mind.  I've taken control of exactly how I wanted my 50th birthday to go...and I had some second thoughts about that.  I blog about my thoughts, my perceptions, my ideas.  Me, me, me.  Is this getting old?  But friends, friends who have known me through some pretty significant life events, told me like it is.  I'm grateful for their support and friendship.  I am blessed.

I hope you can see this picture.  The gals tonight gave me the bracelet that is on the top.  It's a gold link chain with a Bolivian 50 cent piece as a charm.  (Well...it's not cents, but my old age eyes can't read the actual name of the coin!  Maybe it's pesos?)  The bracelet below it, which I happened to be wearing today, is a classic Tiffany's charm bracelet that another special group of girlfriends gave me for my 40th birthday.  The charm is engraved with "Happy 40th!  Love, Your Girlfriends."  I can't help but think about everything that has happened in the last ten years...and how fast it has gone.  That's a lot of life that's been lived in between these two bracelets.

Tonight's Sweet Fringe Benefit is gratitude for the truly sweet life I have lived the last 10 years.  I've seen many baseball and football games, cheer competitions, girl nights with my daughter, dates with my husband, graduations, a wedding, goodbyes and homecomings.  Ten years in a beautiful home, of bike rides, and long runs.  Ten years of friendships and love.  Thank you dear friends for reminding me this tonight.  I needed it.

Sorry, no outfit of the day today.  

I wonder what charm will be on my 60th birthday bracelet?  It'll be here before you know it...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts