I'm tired...

This one is so easy tonight.  I just got back from the High School Open House.  I have a headache. I'm fighting back tears...and not real successfully.  I'm going to blog and then go to bed.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is only being invited (and just because I'm invited doesn't mean I'm going to go) to Open House at the school two more times.  YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!  Two of my worst days each year are Open House and Parent-Teacher conferences.  And that's been the case since my children started school 18 years ago.  This isn't a statement about my children's abilities and learning...it's a statement about me. 

It's a shame I haven't figured this out yet.  And since I haven't, I'm glad I only have 2 left.  Being at the school, listening to the expectations of my student, 100% stresses me to the max.  And I learned very quickly that parent-teacher conferences are never a love fest.  Younger friends...get ready.  That time of year is coming.  There's always room for improvement, and the teacher will find a way to let you know what that is.  Or hopefully, you receive the criticism the way it's meant to be taken...trying to help your children succeed.  Really, I guess I want them to be succeeding already.  Huh.  That's a breakthrough.

I'm trying to teach my daughter to accept responsibility for her learning, and be realistic in what it takes for her to succeed.  It's not easy.  It's painful to me.  And I'm tired.  And I have that perspective thing that makes me wonder if this is really going to matter anyway.  What will she grow out of and what will stick?

Outfit of the Day:  JCP navy knit blazer, Talbot's gold shimmer t-shirt, Ann Taylor navy/cream floral ankle pants, Banana Republic rhinestone necklace.

I'm not usually this much of a downer.  But remember, it's just a phase.  Our lives are one phase after another.  If you don't like the current one, there's another one around the corner.  There's lots of sfb's about having a caboose left at home.  And then, there are the nasties including just being tired of going to Open House...for 18 years running.  For my readers that don't have children at school anymore...I can hear your hallelujah's and amen's...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts