Gratitude and compassion...

This is a follow-up post to last Thursday's blog "Get a Grip".

I had just finished blogging and was turning in for the night.  I pondered how I put it all out there on the blog...my feelings, my concerns, my worries.  Yes, sometimes I have second thoughts about being so real for everyone to read.  Before hopping in bed, the magnetic pull of social media caught me and I perused Facebook.  I came upon a troubling post...a tribute video to a young man that my sons had played ball with.  I thought, "What?  He died?  But I just talked to his Mom last week and he was fine."  Ugh.  My heart sank.  I googled his name.  I found his obituary.  He died at home.  Darn it.  I know what that means.  I just felt an overwhelming compassion for his mother.  For his young friends.  And a gratitude for my children, my life, my husband, my faith. 

Very quickly, my mood of worry and self-absorbed spiral turned to gratitude and compassion.  And I think that is a lesson for me to remember.

I would never want to see "good" in a young life being taken.  Unfortunately, at age 50, I've heard too much news like this..of fathers taking their own lives.  Of mothers and fathers losing a battle with cancer.  It never gets easier to hear news like this.  And I'm a bit sheepish knowing that minutes before hearing the news, I was all wrapped up in "what if's" and "might never be's".  Tonight's Sweet Fringe Benefit is lessons learned.  Even if I have to re-learn them over and over again.  

Outfit of the Day:  Loft bright coral jacket, JCrew dark coral peplum tank, Halogan coral/white dot pencil skirt, JCrew Factory statement necklace, Calvin Klein blue suede sandals, JCrew Factory yellow patent leather belt.  With August coming to a close, even though I have weeks of 90's left, I thought I'd wear this very summery combination one last time.  And because it worked so well for Sunday, and I only
wore it for 3 hours, I decided I'd pair it with jeans for work today.  Now that was easy!

The bad thing about getting older is bad news seems to come more frequently:  More people I know get sick.  More people I know die.  But I can't focus on that.  I need to focus on the life that I've built.  I have so many Sweet Fringe Benefits to acknowledge...that's what this is about.  No matter your age, there's ALWAYS a sweeter side to the phase of life you're in...and I'll say an Amen to that...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts