Sneakers...

It was tax-free weekend here in Tennessee.  Some years I've participated.  Some years I decided it was worth the extra money to shop without the crowds.  

This year, my daughter asked me to shop with her, and her friend, and her friend's Mom.  On Saturday. Of tax-free weekend.  At Opry Mills (extremely large indoor outlet mall).   I agreed.  Even though I had to sacrifice a couple of hours of my long ride.  Hey, I love to shop.  It'll be fun, right?

For the most part, my daughter was perfectly pleasant and engaging.  She tried clothes on.  She waited in lines.  She listened to my input.  We lasted about 3 hours until I pretty much started having a panic attack.  I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.  Cell phones weren't even working because there were too many demands on the cell tower (or at least that was my assumption...since no one's texts were going through.)  She picked out some cute things...jeans, tops, a backpack, a JCrew Factory Vest (because you know, it'll get cold any day now...in August), a headband.  She did really well.  

After we returned home, I reflected on how much more complicated it is shopping with a daughter. Different colored jeans, different fits, multiple types of shoes: flats, heels, sandals, boots, booties, etc.  A top isn't just one blouse...it's a cami, plus a loose fitting tank, plus a flowy kimono or cardigan.  I thought of the good old days, when I shopped for my little boys...when all they wanted were basketball shorts, t-shirts and sneakers.  And then I remembered...shopping for sneakers.  And the tears.  And the melt downs over sneakers.  

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is not having to buy sneakers for my boys anymore.  Really, I admit, that I just don't get the sneaker thing.  I never have.  And, I am feeling kind of badly that I didn't just buy my boys whatever $150 sneakers they wanted.  But I just knew they'd be in the dirt, the red Georgia clay, the mud, the rain...and then I'd be even more bugged that I spent $150 on them.  For my sweet little grandbaby, I'm buying him whatever sneakers he wants.  And his parents can worry about the dirt and mud that he gets into in them.  For for now, I'm happy that I was able to shop for the fashion that I understand (sort of) .



Outfit of the Day:  I wore this last friday.  I bought the flowy Kimono at Blush Boutique here in Franklin.  My daughter loves to shop there, and typically, I just take a seat and let her shop.  But I found this and loved the colors and styling, and I got quite a few compliments on it.  Hope it wasn't too "young" for me.  Kimono from Blush, Banana Republic black cotton T, Ann Taylor Modern Fit white jeans, Vince Camuto Wedges, Emaack Designs turquoise/coral necklace.

Today's Outfit of the Day:  Banana Republic khacki cardigan, Loft purple blouse, Banana Republic navy/white floral jeans, Relativity canvas wedges, Emaack Designs multi-strand necklace.  Yup, that's me in the ladies room at work.  Sorry for the trash can...but, I promised to be real (ha!).  


I love my family.  I love my children.  I don't have any regrets having my two sons and my daughter.  My behavior probably hasn't always reflected that feeling, and I'm embarrassed about that.  Life is definitely easier preparing for only one child to go back to school.  I don't think I was really great under pressure when it comes to keeping my cool with my kids.  I am just a Mom, who is trying to parent with whatever feels right.  To me, $150 for sneakers (10 years ago) just didn't feel right. Heck, I bought my oldest son sneakers for his birthday this year and they weren't even over $100.  Did I say no just so they could be denied of something?  Maybe.  Or did I say no because I really didn't have $300 for 2 pairs of sneakers. Maybe.  The angst that you go through as you parent is exhausting.  And it never ends...although those moments come a lot less often.  Thank heavens...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts