Dinner in White...


"O.M.Gosh.  Is she seriously blogging about her 50th birthday, again?"  I know.  I can hear you now.

But, my blog.  My party.  A few folks have asked about the details of my actual birthday party.  Lots of pictures and a few explanations.  Enjoy!

Back in April, my husband mentioned that he had a few ideas for my birthday party.  I very quickly told him he wasn't planning my party.  I didn't know what I wanted to do for my 50th birthday, but I knew I wanted to be in control.  (And that is not a surprise is it?)  I didn't bite his head off, not really. Not like I did in the blog post "Hungry, irrational and emotional".  

Fast forward to early June.  A friend that lives in Paris posted this video on Facebook about the Diner En Blanc.  Thank you Erin!


I knew right away this is how I wanted to celebrate turning 50.  My husband was relieved that I had chosen an idea for the party and was ready to roll with it.  He was the one that really pushed me to do it.  He's pretty smart.  He knew that if a party didn't come together, even though I told him I was in charge, somehow it would end up his fault.  Hate to admit it, but he is probably right.  

The invitations were from the Micheal's
wedding department.  I printed them
myself at home.  Pretty inexpensive.

The evening turned out to be exactly what I hoped for and more.  We had almost 70 people celebrate their first Dinner in White, while celebrating my 50th birthday.  

We did veer away from a true "Diner En Blanc" renting tables and chairs for our guests.  We also provided a cheese assortment and dessert.  Even though I "planned" my party, I didn't do much of the work.  A dear friend put together the delicious and beautiful cheese assortment.  A couple girlfriends decorated the food tables.  And one of my dearest BFF's and her husband flew in for the weekend and they worked hard putting it all together as "Team Costco" and "Team Publix" went to work.

Here are a few of my favorite photos from the night.  And "photo creds" to my daughter Madeleine!




I loved how everyone interpretted the dress code.  All different shades of whites and light khacki were worn.  Hats and head pieces, shorts and long dresses, flip flops and stiletto heels were all present.  




A beautiful plate from the cheese assortment and
accompaniments.  Figs, berries, almonds, dried fruit.
Deliciousness.  Thanks Kate!






As the sun began to set, the lights came on above the table.  Guests unpacked their picnic dinners, which ranged from sandwiches to gourmet salads to fried chicken.





After dinner, it was time for the sparklers!  Everyone sang Happy Birthday to me as the sparklers lit up the sky!  Really, it was just an enchanting moment to see everyone dressed in white, the edison lights in the background, and the sparklers a'glare.  Absolutely magical.  



My friend Heidi brought a lantern for us to send off in
to the night sky.  Woweeeeee was I so excited.  It was so
beautiful!



The dessert table was YAMMY!  (I meant to put an "A" in there.  Long story, I'll tell you in another post.)  I splurged on some very special sugar cookies, but the Costco chocolate cake looked 5x more expensive than the $17.99 that is cost.  And how could I celebrate a birthday without a Publix Coconut Cake?  The white cupcakes were from Sam's Club, all doctored up by my friend Kate with lovely little sugared pearls.  Pretty, delicious and it didn't break the bank.





I loved how people lingered and visited after dessert.  It was such a beautiful evening.  This is one of my favorite pictures of the night.  I love my friend Latoya and her husband taking a "selfie".  Others chatting in lots of little groups.  I think that just says wonders of everyone's comfort level throughout the night.


Here we go.  Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit are my many friends and family members that supported my crazy idea of getting together in my backyard, all dressed in white, for a picnic dinner.  I must say, as the day approached, I felt very awkward about throwing my own party.  Sort of self-indulgent.  But really, it was just knowing what I wanted, and articulating it to those around me.  Fifty brings a confidence, and a knowledge of who I am, what I want, and what I don't want.  I was so afraid of being an emotional wreck this summer.  So afraid of total meltdowns over my age, my body, my stage in life, that I needed to control it.  And, well, I guess I did.

I'm going to leave you with a little joke that my friend Kate told me as we were setting up for the party. I'm still laughing it's so perfect.  I wish I had her comedic timing...

Me:  "Knock, Knock"

You:  "Who's There?"

Me:  "Control Freak. Now you say Control Freak who..."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!  Ya, I'm a control freak.  But in the best way...

Nanette

Comments

  1. Woah! This is an amazing idea. Everybody is looking lovely in white here. I must share this post with my husband because we are hosting a get together this week in an event space Chicago. This would be a wonderful theme. I simply loved the idea here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts