Positive Self Talk "PST" ...

Oh boy.  I've been trying to "PST" all afternoon and evening.  Positive Self Talk  (PST) was a term I learned at Weight Watchers several years ago.  You can apply it to every aspect of your life...not just your weight.  When I tell you what I was doing today, you will understand.

I spent the day shopping with a good friend.  It started off so great...we hit a 40% off your entire purchase at Banana Republic(that runs through the weekend)...even off markdowns!  I found a great pencil skirt at Nordstrom on the clearance rack, and even though the size 8 didn't fit, they found a size 10 and are sending it to me.  See?  Pretty great shopping day so far.  And then, the serious business began...of bathing suit shopping.

I want a suit that will be comfortable and have enough coverage during water activities like snorkeling and kayaking, not just reading a book in a lounge chair.  I have looked at Athleta catalogs for years and figured this was my time to go buy a real athletic suit.  There is an Athleta retail store near me, which would allow me to try on lots of different options.  Without going in to too much detail, I left the store without a bathing suit.  First of all, they didn't have many suits yet.  Too early in the season.  Second, the ones they did have didn't have much more than two triangles attached to a tankini top...definitely not enough coverage for movement.  And well, third...it's just the dreaded experience in the dressing room after a very long, sunless winter.  As I was walking out of the store, a couple of skirts caught my eye, so I decided to pick them up and bring them home.

When I got home, I started frantically searching online for other options.  I have one suit coming from Lands End tomorrow, along with a long sleeve swim top.  I began trying on my two new skirts, and my two bathing suits I've had for a couple of years.  The PST sounded something like, "you don't need to look like a super model...you're almost 50 years old!", or "Only bodies that have been photoshopped look like the ones in the catalogs," or "No one is really going to be looking at you". 

So I have a couple of thoughts about Sweet Fringe Benefits today.  My frantic anxiety-filled quest for a bathing suit is actually less stressful BECAUSE of my age.  Expectations are lower, both my own and others.  Another sfb is there are more options than there ever used to be.  The skirt/skorts I bought at Athleta are actually very flattering.  They come to the top of my knees, and I think will be perfect to wear kayaking with a bathing suit top.  The swim top I ordered from Lands End is like a long sleeve t-shirt out of bathing suit fabric.   Today's philosphy of "more coverage is better" because of sun damage is helping too...who knew they had t-shirts made out of swim fabric!  So, all in all, tonight's sfb is just feeling pretty good about my watersport-wear options.

I've heard from so many people over the years, "I hate to shop."  Today would not be for the faint-hearted shopper.  But if you're willing to think outside the box a bit, you can make it work.  Don't be afraid to try on a lot of things, both in the store, and once you get home. 

This is the link to the Athleta skirt I bought.  Click here.

Outfit of the Day:  Bagatelle Pleather Jacket, LOFT green blouse, Worthington mushroom textured pants, snakeskin pumps, Emaack Designs statement necklace.

Tomorrow I'll tell you about why I need a bathing suit...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts