The weather is like being 49 years old...

Sorry about not blogging yesterday!  I was just about to sit down and start writing when the tornado sirens started blowing.  When it was over, both my cable and internet were down. 

It's been a busy couple of days trying to make the most of our spring like weather, sunshine, and prepping for a brunch I'm hosting at my house tomorrow morning.  Here's a few pictures of what's kept me busy.







I just bought a couple bunches of white carnations at Costco, and the lime green buckets at the Dollar Store.  I filled the buckets each with a large block of wet floral foam, and after it was soaked, I dumped out the excess water.  I guess for a dollar you don't get buckets that are water tight.  Then I stuck the stems in the foam.  The leftovers made pretty arrangements too in the glass vases.





The purpose of the brunch is to discuss Visiting Teaching, a program within my church that women teach and minister to an assigned group of women or "sisters" within their congregation.  I made up several samples of motivational handouts that could be used.  Click here for a link to the blog where I found them...the blog even had printables ready to go.  So easy. 






I LOVE the Cinnamon Crunch Scones at Panera Bread.  So yummy!  I found a copycat recipe online.  Good thing I looked for the recipe at the beginning of the week because I ended up having to order Hershey's Cinnamon Chips from Amazon.  My husband has sampled several...he says they're pretty good!  Click here for a recipe...but good luck finding the chips in your local grocery store.  They are ready to go for tomorrow morning's brunch.

So yesterday, as I was enjoying the 77 degree weather...I realized that the weather is sort of like being 49 years old.  Let me explain.  When you live in the South, you KNOW that if you have 60 and 70 degree weather in February, eventually it's going to end in severe storms.  So all day yesterday, as I went for my morning run, or ate my lunch on the patio and suntanned my very white pasty legs, or rode my bike, I especially appreciated the sweetness of the warmth, because I knew the "nasty" of severe storms was coming that evening.  And sure enough, it did.  My daughter and I brought blankets and pillows in to our very small powder bath, as it has no exterior walls or windows.  My phone wouldn't update the radar.  The TV broadcast failed, so no local newscasters to listen to and see where the potential tornado was.  We just had to ride it out.  Really, isn't that a good way of living your life at this age?  There are PLENTY of Sweet Fringe Benefits to enjoy...whether its grown children doing what you've raised them to do,  a morning to go back to bed after getting children off to school, time for new hobbies, confidence to try a new career, freedom to focus on your marriage...I've talked about a lot of them.  And yes, there are nasties of my age...just like the severe storms that rolled through.  Most of the time those nasties come and go and don't leave any damage.  You can just ride it out...like missing your children that have left your nest, modifying an exercise in bootcamp, breathing through a hot flash, being kind to yourself when you don't feel you have a purpose...whatever the "nasties" of your age are.  You just get through them, and focus on the beautiful warm weather or Sweet Fringe Benefits instead.  And I think that realization is a big enough SFB for two days!

Outfit of the Day:  (Yesterday's)  LOFT navy cardigan, JCrew Factory blouse oxford sleeveless shell with rhinestones on the collar (love that part!), JCrew Factory blue/khacki diamond pattern jeans,  Pink snakeskin skinny belt, Emaack Designs Pearl bracelet, Banana Republic peep toe wedges.  I bought the wedges right after Christmas on their clearance rack.  Such a great deal.  The jeans were also from the clearance rack on black friday.  Really, always take a look at the clearance, especially if they have an extra percent off. 



















Today's Outfit of the Day:  JCrew pink/flourescent yellow striped cardigan, JCrew Factory floral blouse, LOFT cinnamon colored cords, Rhinestone necklace (TJ Maxx), Yellow skinny belt, Danskos (going for comfort!).  You know me...I love the mix of patterns on the blouse and sweater.  I didn't buy them together...pulled out the shirt from my closet, and looked at my sweaters for anything that would remotely match.  DON'T OVERTHINK IT.


















The weekend again!  Remember, I only post on weekdays...but believe me, I'm looking for Sweet Fringe Benefits all weekend long, and now I'm just going to "ride out the storm" of the nasties...

Nanette

Comments

  1. oh wow... I am so glad that the tornado did not plow through your path. With no contacts to the outside world. How would you know what to expect if the tornado did go to your path? What kind of plans have you made? Love you. I am loving every post you posted. They are so fun and funny to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern and kind words! The plan is to go to the powder room...which is the center of our home. If a tornado did come thru, we would cover our heads with pillows and pray hard!!! Without a basement that's about the best we can do.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts