It's not always about me....



My daughter-in-law posted this picture on Instagram this afternoon.  Do you get it?  Do you remember my post about the World Series? (click here) How about this picture....


My daughter-in-law wore her Cardinals World Series Championship T-shirt proudly amongst all our Boston Strong gear. 

I thought it was a fitting way to announce their new addition to their family coming September 12, 2014.  Now do you get it?  My grandbaby is going to be born in just over 6 months!

What a fun time in life.  I've been reflecting tonight about how I announced my pregnancies...definitely nothing exciting.  I can't even remember telling my husband I was pregnant.  I do remember going to the obstetrician for blood tests a couple of times, only to find out I wasn't pregnant.  Could it really have been that long ago that I didn't use an over the counter pregnancy test?  I also remember when I was pregnant with my daughter, I did NOT take a pregnancy test, and went to the doctor for the first time when I was 10 weeks along.  My husband that night asked me, "So you are pregnant then."  I just knew I was...you know, I guess after my 4th pregnancy, I knew all the early signs.  And, I had taken a couple of over the counter tests in the months leading up to that pregnancy...just to see the "minus " sign and be disappointed.  It's a time of unknown, uncharted territory.  Am I a little envious?  Maybe.  To realize as a couple you are going to become parents for the first time just makes your relationship a little deeper.  I am so happy for them that their plans are coming together as they hoped. 

For me...it's just one more step in to adulthood for my son, reminding me that he is not my little boy.  But as I've said before, he's doing exactly what we raised him to do:  be independent, successful, and have a family of his own.  I've called that a Sweet Fringe Benefit before.  And of course, the obvious Sweet Fringe Benefit is that beautiful little newborn that my son will hand to me...and I'm sure in that moment, I will never have been prouder of him, and my daughter-in-law for that matter. 

I'm going to be honest here...because, you know, that's what you get at this blog.  I was pretty nervous about how I'd feel about this.  But I know I'm happy and "good" with it.  Do you know why?  Because I can envision this baby.  I can actually see my son holding this baby, and introducing me to "him."  You might not think that's a big deal...but let me assure you, it is.  When I am facing something difficult, or something I don't want to happen, I can't visualize it.  When my oldest son was going off to college, I kept trying to mentally prepare for leaving him at his dorm.  I would try to visualize walking away from him, and I couldn't.  Even when it was happening, it was like it was in slow motion, and the tears...oh...the tears and the knot in my throat.  But this?  Oh, I can totally see it, almost feel it.  I'm pretty pleased with myself....

Outfit of the Day:  Well, I didn't even shower and get dressed until 3 pm!  Bootcamp this morning, and then a cold 24 mile ride mid day.  I loved every minute of it...when it was over.  Halogen yellow cardigan, JCrew Factory blue/white checked blouse, LOFT purple skinny cords, pink snakeskin skinny belt, Emaack Designs statement necklace.  Just a note on the belt...you can pick these up pretty cheap on clearance at Target or JC Penny or JCrew Factory...that's where mine are from.  They add a fun pop of color to an outfit either on your pants, or over a blouse or cardigan. 

I can't promise that there won't be a breakdown about becoming a grandmother the year I turn 50.  But for today, I'm all good with it...

Nanette

Comments

  1. Wow Nanette!!! Congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS AWESOME. I LOVE BEING A GRANDMA........ YOU WILL SEE PIECES OF YOUR SON, AND BOY DO THE MEMORIES FLOOD BACK....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahooo! you a grandma! That is so awesome!!! way to go cousin nanette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO exciting! Congratulations to the whole family! (Young grandmas are the best!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts