No more linoleum...

I was alone from 6:00 am until 2:30 pm today...that's the longest I've been alone in a couple months. I'm not going to detail what I did...but sufficeth to say, I've been looking forward to today for a week now, and it was exactly what I needed.  I wouldn't want it like this every day...but I really enjoyed it today.

What would you do if you had 8 1/2 hours of uninterrupted alone time?  I guess you would probably have a different answer depending on how old you are, when it might happen again, and what has happened leading up to this day.

Okay, okay.  I'll give you the breakdown.  Because I promised honesty...in hopes that my honesty will help one of you out there.

3.5 hours I spent sleeping (not telling that story)
1 hour I spent working out
1 hour I spent cooking
1 hour I spent running errands
and...
2 hours I spent steam cleaning my floors with my new steam cleaner and...

I hate it.  It's awful!  This thing is going right back to Target.  I think a steam cleaner is not something to buy on the low-end of the price point.

Nonetheless, I was thinking as I was cleaning the floors...this is ALOT easier than it used to be.  My second house had alot of linoleum (you know...that vinyl flooring).  It "looked" like tile, but of course wasn't similar in any other way, including ease of cleaning.  It was horrible!  Cleaning my floor from the front entry through the kitchen, which probably was only 1/3 the space that I have in my kitchen now, would take 2-3 hours.  I'd scrub it on my hands and knees with a bucket and scrub brush trying to lift the dirt that had settled in to the little pockmarks on the vinyl. Then, I'd damp mop it.  I had two little boys in that house. Lots of spills, muddy shoes, sand and salt from snowy days, and scuff marks...I can say now how much I hated it.  But back then, I really was just grateful to have a new home, with lots of space.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is two-fold.  One, I'm okay that I don't have lots of messes to clean up after.  No sippy cups that back then were NOT spill proof, no stepped on gold fish that had dropped, no woodchips spilling out of shoes after coming in from the play area.  Second, being 49 has given me a beautiful home that doesn't have vinyl flooring!  

I need to find the sfb's where I can...because you know, the nasties of 49 are a-plenty.

Outfit of the Day:  LOFT boiled wool green striped jacket, Joe Fresh hot pink ruffle blouse, Mossimo navy flocked jeans, Banana Republic flats, TJ Maxx rhinestone necklace.  I love the play on the patterns and textures putting this jacket and jeans together.

I hope Target takes that thing back...going to look at Costco for a better one...

Nanette


Comments

Popular Posts