Sisters...

Well, they're gone.  My parents left this morning.  (If you are new to my blog, click here to read about my 89 year old parents' journey to my house.)  They are driving back to Utah.  My sister is with them this time.  She took some time away from work to spend a few days with them.  Although my folks could have made the journey themselves, we are all so glad Elizabeth will be with them.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit of being 49 years old is my sister.  She is five years older than me (sorry, Betty!).  But as the years go by, we get closer and closer.  She has been a wonderful Auntie to my children.  They adore her.  From Sunday dinners to pooping reindeer, she has a knack for making my kids happy.  Our lives are pretty different.  She has an impressive career and I'm a stay-at-home mom. I'm not detailing anymore...because this is my blog and not hers.  But, we have an empathy for each other that only a "sisterhood" can bring.  She has ALWAYS been the best big sister, giving and giving...and I've pretty much been the typical little sister that takes and takes. Makes me sad for my daughter that she doesn't have a sister...wait...that's another sfb of 49...a sister for Maddy isn't even a decision to consider!

I thought I'd give a little update on my Special Works in Progress for the first quarter of 2014.  (click here to read more about that)

Spiritual Health:  I continue to read daily from The Book of Mormon.  Following the reading schedule on Instagram has done exactly what I'd hoped.  I'm addicted to my phone and social media....I scan instagram at least 10x a day.  So looking at the reading schedule reminds me to get my reading done over and over again.  I have found that the daily reflection on my beliefs, my God, and my relationship with Him has brought a peace in to my life when there is alot of "not peaceful" things going on in my life.  I have missed a day here and there, but I have "made up" the reading that I missed.

Physical Health:  I had a diet coke last week at Chipotle...seriously one of the best places to get a diet coke.  I didn't finish it...no refills either.  I wish I could say that I feel differently...that some joint doesn't ache or some wonderful health benefit has manifested itself...it hasn't.  But I'm going to continue with my "rarely" drinking it.  I just know it's what I need to do.

Emotional Health:  And I continue to blog.  I know...I didn't blog last friday.  The day just got busy.  I did miss it though...does that count?  I think it does.  Because it proves to me how much I need this daily reflection of something good, something sweet about my stage of life.

Just trying to keep myself honest.  I'm actually beginning to reflect on what my second quarter "Special Works in Progress" will be.

Outfit of the Day (Sunday):  This is the close-up of my outfit I was wearing in the above picture.  Ann Taylor black/white check blazer, Converse black ruffle shell, Ann Taylor blue/black zebra print pencil skirt, Banana Republic Blue suede shoes, Emaack Designs Grey pearl/pyrite multi-strand necklace, crystal/pyrite single strand necklace.  Ok...the blue suede shoes I bought on Saturday for $17 on clearance! Banana had "take an additional 50% off sale prices", and I scored!  So did Ann Taylor...the blazer was $25!  Love this time of year.  FYI, I find that the stores tend to have better prices than online, especially on their sale racks. This was definitely true with the pieces I bought this weekend.

Outfit of the Day: Wearing my Christmas present from my sister!  Total coincidence that my blog is about her...and I'm wearing her gift!  Halogen yellow cardigan, Caslon pink/white polka dot blouse, Banana Republic Blue diamond pattern Camden fit pants, Banana Republic flats, Emaack Designs Statement Necklace.

I needed to include both pictures of my outfit today...I wanted you to see both the details of my pants AND my fabulous Emaack Designs necklace that I wear so, so much.  My sister, Elizabeth Maack, is so talented.  If you have a special occassion coming up, contact her at emaackdesigns@yahoo.com, tell her the colors you need, how long, big and chunky or small and dainty, and she will design a one-of-a-kind, genuine stone statement necklace for you. She is very reasonable.  This necklace would retail for $140, but it's a six strand necklace, and that's a lot of work.  Most of her statement necklaces are right around $100.  The natural stones are so beautiful, and end up reflecting different light with what you are wearing.  AND, she will make the necklace, send you a picture, and then you can pay when you are happy with it before she mails it to you.

Alright, enough advertising.

If you ever wonder or have forgotten why I'm blogging, read my profile to the right of today's post, or if you're reading on a mobile device, my profile is at the bottom.  If you'd like my posts emailed to you each day, enter your email address to the right under "follow by email."  I blog on most weekdays.  It is all about me...afterall, isn't that what a blog is about?  But in the process of being all about me, I think I'm supporting others through this journey of age as well...thanks for coming along!

Nanette






Comments

  1. Thanks Nanette and you know I feel the same way--except I think I'm the "taker" and you are the "giver". That's the way it works with sisters and I love and appreciate you! Pray for good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy doesn't need a sister. She has 2 brothers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts