A New Hobby...

For years of my married, "motherhood" life, saturdays were consumed with children's activities.  From t-ball to football, travel ball to cheer competitions, Doug and I use to talk about things we were going to do when we had more Saturdays free.  One of those activities was roadbiking.  I admit, I was intimidated by the gear, the speed, the cars...anything.  But a year ago, when my second child was leaving the nest, I decided it was time.  My hope was that it would be an activity that Doug and I could do together as we age (gracefully, of course).  Well, Doug and I don't ride a lot together...he's very fast.  But I am able to enjoy a 3-4 hour ride, usually on Saturday Mornings, because all those other activities have just gone away.  Would I trade my long ride for another double header watching my boys play? Absolutely.  Can I trade it?  No.  Turning the clock back just hasn't been invented yet.  But in keeping with the purpose of the blog, I'm looking for those Sweet Fringe Benefits (sfb's) that come with getting older.

Today's sfb is being able to go for a 43 mile ride, in absoulutely beautiful weather, taking in all the spectacular views that middle tennessee has to offer.  I couldn't have indulged in this hobby five years ago.  Too many activities on the weekend to take kids here and there to, and weekdays were filled with room mom responsibilities, school activities...it just wouldn't have happened.  And as a bonus today, one of me dear friends met me for part of the ride.  So fun.
Thanks Kate!


Burke Hollow Rd.  
 I really haven't been one to be adventurous and try new things throughout my life.  So I'm kind of proud of myself for taking up this new hobby and really embracing it.  It's been a very healthy experience overall...both physically and mentally.  I highly recommend it!

So I didn't get dressed until noon today because of my ride.  Gosh...half the day is over!  We have a church social tonight, casual, and a few errands to run this afternoon.

Loft coral colored skinny jeans, JCrew Factory navy/white checked blouse, Loft navy cardigan.  Shoes with be simple sandals.  Let me give you a tip on the blouse.  I avoided blouses for years because they were just too constricting.  I buy mine big now!!!  I'm buying an XL at JCrew typically, although this one is a large because they had sold out of the XL and I wanted it.  It's lightweight, soft, 100% cotton.  No stretch.  Don't be afraid of the bigger size, it'll add comfort, and you get a lot of flexibility rolling up the sleeves.

Ok, and I know I said I wasn't going to focus on the negative of this aging thing...but I really think the side effect of "my give a da#m is busted" is super annoying!  I've had these scrapbooks on my table for 3 weeks now.  I probably only have 2 hours of work on my Christmas Album from 2011, and about 6 hours from 2012.  I keep picking up the pictures and walking away.  So frustrating!  So I'm being real here...just wanted you to know.  Maybe one of these days, I'll post it being completed.  Maybe.

Off to Target to get some treats for a carepackage for my missionary son,

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts