Three Generations...

I came home this morning after going to the Homecoming parade and noticed something at my front door.  I was greeted to a very nice surprise!

Now, I'm not being a braggy blogger posting this lovely, thoughtful gesture.  I'm a realist, remember?   But my purpose is to show you my thought pattern, and how I reflectively arrived at today's Sweet Fringe Benefit (sfb).   I've been married 26 years.  Someone who is 20 something, even 30 something can't say that.  And with those longer years of marriage, brings a deeper understanding, tolerance and love for each other.  Believe me, I'm not in la la land.  His sweaty workout clothes still gross me out. Sometimes I get bugged when he comes home for lunch.  And I really still wish I didn't have to share a bathroom and a closet.  But, I wouldn't want to go back to being married only a year or two.  Or even ten years.
This is my son and his beautiful new wife.  This picture was taken after they had been married only a week.  They've now been married almost 4 months!  When I had been married a week, I couldn't believe I was finally married to my best friend of 6 years.  I loved Doug...but I loved him for who I thought he was and was going to be. Now, I love him for who I know he is after witnessing him calm a fussy baby, hold my hand through childbirth, help my teenage daughter know she is a valued daughter of God, and yes, laugh and tease with my sons.
These are my parents.  They've been married for almost 67 years.  They are truly best friends.  My Dad just adores my Mom, and even though my Mom grumbles when my Dad tells her how to fix a salad, or how long to cook a soft boiled egg, she doesn't want to ever live without him.  So, age brings the yucky side effects...pills, oxygen, memory loss, aches and pains.  My parents are definitely feeling those now.  But their love for each other is even truer and deeper than mine for my husband.  It's hard to comprehend, but I'm looking forward to it.

That same "time" that adds numbers to our years, also adds love, understanding, acceptance and peace in my marriage.  So for today, "time" is my Sweet Fringe Benefit.  Time together, time to learn to forgive, time to be a couple.  I don't think I will ever live long enough to like the sweaty workout clothes, but hopefully soon, my heart will leap everytime Doug walks through the door for lunch unexpectedly.  I don't love him more because he sent me flowers. I might have...when I was younger.  Now?  Flowers are just a bonus.  But I will take 49, if it means 26 years together and getting better every year.



And now for the more shallow stuff.  Like I said, today was Homecoming.  Our school colors are red and black.  I've never been much for a team t-shirt or jersey.  I prefer to wear my school colors fashionably...definitely one of my favorite trends in the South.  



Red and black jacquard pants (with stretch!) from Banana Republic, a denim shirt (it's denim, not blue, so it still falls under the "school color" umbrella) from TJ Maxx, and my favorite fabulous red/black snake skin pumps that I bought specifically for football games a couple years ago.  You can barely see my jewelry...sorry!  It was really pretty.  It's a 4-strand set of brown/bronze colored pearls by Emaack Designs.  I did the brown because I didn't want to be too literally...Red and Black.
A denim or chambray shirt is a discussion for another day.  But...you just need to get one.

Again, I'm not trying to live in a fantasy land.  Marriage is work, but at the risk of being cliche, it's worth it...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts