More is Better...

Last week I picked up a couple of mums for my front steps, and a couple of white pumpkins.  I LOVED the look.  Love love love the white pumpkins.  I've never done just the white before.  Last week I didn't have time to fully "decorate" for fall inside and out, with all the cooking I had to do for the dinner I was helping with.  Figured that's what I would do this week. You would think with 4 mums and 3 white pumpkins, my front steps would be done.  But, then I decided I needed a pumpkin topiary to replace my dying impatiens flowers, and maybe a few pansies.  I headed over to my favorite nursery and found exactly what I wanted...plus another mum.  I was very pleased with the outcome.

Then a girlfriend invited me for a walk, and it was just way too pretty out to resist.  We walked around my neighborhood and I noticed other people's front porches and steps with their pumpkins and mums, wreaths, flags, signs, etc.  When I got back to my house, today's sfb hit me.

I've been decorating for fall for a LONG time now.  Heck, I've been decorating for every holiday for a long time. And anyone who has ever been to my house knows that my style is anything but clean and simple.  Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit (sfb) is being comfortable with and loving my own style. What I do.  Yes, I get ideas from others:  pinterest, websites, shops, girlfriends and strangers.  But I always cater it to me; what I like and who I am.  And I'm good with that.  I couldn't say that 25 years ago.  I was still figuring out what that style was.  I've tried to have a clean uncluttered look in decor.  But...I always end up with the "More is Better" style,  just like my front porch:  5 mums, 6 pumpkins, an owl lantern, and a bowl of pansies.  You don't have to like it....but I do.  And I'm happy with that.

I think I must subscribe to the "More is Better" fashion style as well.  I love mixing prints, colors and layers.  I think it gives you a lot of options to create different looks when you're not commited to a pink cami underneath the pink sweater.

All these pieces are last year.  LOFT polka sweater (although I have seen it this year at the LOFT outlet), Banana Republic Chevron shell, and The Limited 917 Jeans.  Emaack Designs necklace, this one is made of sunstone and silver.

Just because I'm blogging about my style and fashion, doesn't mean I think its the only style.  Take ideas from me that work for you, and combine with with other elements you see elsewhere and come up with your own style you are comfortable with.

I'm thinking I might need two more mums...have a great day!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts