High Expectations? They're overrated...

There was a new guy at bootcamp today.  A young-ish guy.  Maybe 30 something.  We needed to partner up for a 25-yard shuttle with a medicine ball.  (I won't detail the exercise, but it was a heartrate spiker.)  "The new guy" ended up being my partner, and I must say, it was a little strategic on my part. You see, the gym I go to is definitely more of a 20-30 something gym, than a 49 almost 50 something gym.  I'm almost always the slowest one in sprints and burpees.  I can't hold a plank as long as most, and my weight for "weighted sit-ups" is more like 10 lbs than the "suggested" 25 lbs.  I don't mind.  I'm there usually at 6 am 3 days a week.  I feel stronger and empowered by the workout.  I (usually) don't let the young hard bodies intimidate me.  Back to this morning.  I asked "the new guy" to be my partner...I didn't want a 10 lb medicine ball being hurled at me like my sons use to do in a friendly basketball game.  I figured he'd go easy on me.  He was pretty winded, and I'll admit, so was I, but after each round, I'd go right to the box and do 30 step-ups and proceed with the workout.  During our next round of exercises (50 yard farmers walk with 35 lb dumb bells, 15 squat jumps and 30 weighted russian twists), the trainer told me that "the new guy" asked him which weights he should use, because he said "I'm pretty sure I can't use what she's using. One thing I've learned this morning, that gal is stronger and fitter than I am."  And the trainer responded to him, "Yup, she's a warrior." Ahah.

Todays sfb is the lower expectation that younger people have of their "elders".  Hey...I know, you could look at this as one of those "nasty side effects" I occasionally refer to.  But I'm not.  I'm LOVING it.  Do you think "the new guy" would have complimented a woman his age being stronger than he?  No way.  He would've been intimidated.  But his expectations were lower because he saw me as a late 40 something...and it was really easy to impress him.  I'll take it.  

I actually have quite a bit on my plate the next 10 days, getting ready for a big event for church.  It feels good to be engaged and have a purpose.  There won't be much room for procrastination.  Like I said in my first post, I am way more productive when I'm busy.  I can stay on task and be focused.

Quick and easy dressing...there seems to be a pattern here (colored jeans, tshirts and cardi's).  Mint colored jeans (target last year), LOFT girl tshirt (last year), LOFT navy cardigan.  Metallic braided belt.  
I'm going to hear that trainer's comment in my head all day.  "Yup, she's a warrior."

Nanette

Comments

  1. THAT GIRL's a WARRIOR!! You know it!! I am so proud of you.

    Have you looked at Brene Brown's book, Daring Greatly? The title has to do with being "in the arena" and boy are you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts