It depends on how you look at it...

What an overwhelming response I have received to my blog!  Thank you to everyone out there that has commented, read or shared Sweet Fringe Benefits.  I have had over 500 views since I went public with it.  And as a result....I'm having a little bit of a writer's block feeling the pressure that people are actually looking at it!  Yikes!  But I will move forward, and as I promised, be honest with my feelings every day.  (Oh boy...here it goes.)

Several of you have commented about grandchildren.  And I have to admit, I'm feeling a little bit like I did when I was in the grocery store with Matthew 21 years ago, and he was screaming because I had tied his shoelaces together so he couldn't climb out of the shopping cart, and an older woman walked by and lovingly glanced at me AND him.  I understand, I do that now, partially grinning not only that I don't have to shop with a screaming baby, but also longingly remembering my own babies.  But really, what I wanted to do was say to the older woman, "Seriously lady?  You want him?  You do your shopping with him."  We CAN learn from others how to appreciate each stage we are in.

I don't have grandchildren.  My son has been married 4 months, I suppose it's possible.  And I trust that the people that commented about grandchildren are spot on...that there is incredible joy, love and laughter.  BUT....

At the risk of offending my son and his wife, today's Sweet Fringe Benefit (sfb) of my age is NOT having grandchildren.  Living in the right here....right now... Today is great.  I still have a teenage daughter at home.  I loved going to see her cheer last night.  I love facetiming my son and his wife, hearing about their plans and endeavors.  I enjoy a weekly email from my missionary son, and know that this is exactly what he needs to be doing  My house is much quieter than it use to be...and I'm good with that for now.  I know that I will love love love the grandbabies when they come.  Just like I did when son #2 arrived, and I couldn't imagine how I could give my heart to one more being on this planet after I had my first child.  And of course, I did, and can't imagine life without him or the next baby.  But I'm going to be happy where I am today.  

Along with posting a daily Sweet Fringe Benefit (sfb), I have also been posting an outfit of the day. Why?  Well, partially because there are days I just don't want to get out of my workout clothes and shower.  Having the pressure to take an "overly flattering downward shooting selfie" has been a healthy chore.  And that is why I'm blogging...To help me, and others going through this change of life. Younger folks are welcome....and if it helps you appreciate the right here...right now...and think of your own Sweet Fringe Benefits of being 28...that is awesome.

Loft curvy black skinny jeans, JCrew Factory striped sweater, Ann Taylor Mint Ruffle Top, Emaack Designs Coral and Torquoise chunky braceleys, Dansko Sandals (definitely not a fashion statement...but I LOVE my Danskos)

I know I will be fighting off the inlaws to get to those grandbabies.  (My first two are sons...so I know the daughter-in-law's Mom has first dibs.)  But again, for today, I'm good with my 14 year old baby at home.

Comments

  1. I know grandparents (me) are obnoxious with their delight in their grandchildren. Totally agree that you love and more so appreciate the different stages of life. I'm very glad I didn't have grandchildren while I had a child at home--not that it wouldn't be great but I was an empty nester long enough to appreciate the difference! Another benefit of the "selfies"--sometimes I can't remember what I have worn to work during the week! This would help...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this blog! I can't wait to read tomorrow's post...!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts