Wicked awesome...

I LOVE living in Tennessee.  We moved here 10 years ago for my husband's job and hope to never leave.  We love the climate, the open space, the views, our home, our privacy and rural landscape yet close proximity to conveniences (Costco and Target!).  I love the roads I cycle on, my children's schools, the southern traditions of faith, family and football.  We have a strong, purposeful and faithful church community.  I have true friends here.  Tennessee will forever be a part of who I am.  However...

Boston Bruins Playoff Game 2013
I will not forget where I came from.  Both my husband and I were born and raised in the Boston area. We lived the first 10 years of our marriage there.  We didn't really mean to move away...there was just one too many snow storms, and a husband with career frustrations which led us on our journey southward.  Once in a while, people here still say to me, "You're not from around here".  (I'm thinking...you think I talk funny, you should hear my brother Dan!) Old New Englander traditions linger...I still say "put a sweater or a coat on" when someone is cold in my house, I love a good old "New England Boiled Dinner", and I am a die-hard Boston sports fan.  I grew up in a household that wasn't too interested in sports.  I've probably been to less than 10 Red Sox games, I've never seen the Patriots play at home, and been to less than 10 Celtics games as well.  My Boston fanaticism began when we moved away.  It became a rallying call for our family.  These teams have been a sense of family identity living here in Tennessee.  Even my daughter wears a Tom Brady jersey or a red sox t-shirt!  I have loved watching my boys and husband interact over these teams.  My missionary son serving in Brazil is a panic.  Doug sends him the sports update every week.  When we emailed yesterday, he said he was already nervous to open next Monday's email because he will find out if the Red Sox won the World Series.  Our married son calls late at night after a hard-fought win or tough loss.  Ballgames are a family event.
An off season tour of Fenway Park

Being a Red Sox fan got a little complicated this last week.  My son married a girl from St. Louis...thus a die-hard Cardinals fan.  She grew up going to games with her family, cheering on her team, enjoying family time together over the Cards...same as we did with the Red Sox.  The more I think about it, the more it just warms my heart.  It's two families, cheering on their teams that have brought them so much joy...because it was time spent together.  I don't know anyone personally that plays for any Boston team.  I don't have money invested in concessions or t-shirts or in Fenway Park.  The more I think about it, it doesn't really matter to me who wins the World Series...other than I know it'll make my husband and sons very happy.  Now...we'd be talking a whole different story if this was against the Yankees.  I couldn't get behind them for sure.  I think passion for a team or a game brings excitement and exhilaration.  It's a good thing.  With a little temperance...

2008 Superbowl
Boys trip to Fenway 2010
When the Patriots lost the 2008 Superbowl to the NY Giants...it was painful.  Like...seriously painful for me.  Like...I couldn't talk about it...for weeks.  I couldn't watch replays.  My disdain for the Manning family grew exponentially.  My husband and son were at that Superbowl, and I just so badly wanted the Pats to win so Doug and Matthew would have a memorable, fun experience.  Actually, I was way more upset than they were. They said the game was AWESOME.  Would've been nice to win...but they loved their trip.  And now, several years later, I'm beginning to understand.  It doesn't matter who wins the World Series.  It won't mean that St. Louis is a better city than Boston, or that the people of Boston are more "wicked awesome" than those in St. Louis.  NO.  All it means it that the best team won.  I know it's silly for a 49 year old to have to talk through this...but I'm so glad I realized that I'm good no matter who wins.  Is it easier for me to say now that the Red Sox are up 3-2 in the series?  Eh.  Maybe.  Hey...as Red Sox fans, you KNOW that anything can happen until the final out (poor Bill Buckner).  The Red Sox and the Cardinals are my Sweet Fringe Benefits today. I will enjoy the final two games much more now that I've worked through this.  

Outfit of the Day is pretty simple.  Loft rust colored jeans, Bisou Bisou (JC Penny Brand) Bronzy-Green blouse, Loft gray striped sequined trim cardigan.  Cheetah print belt, Tom's wedges.  Emaack Designs Jewelry.  All very muted neutrals, with very little pattern.  A little boring for me, right?  I like it just the same.

Feeling like I've made the next couple nights a little easier for me...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts