Scottsdale and Sedona

Our Christmas/New Years holidays, like most of yours, were very different.  On top of not being with any extended family, my husband suffered a shoulder injury and battled severe pain several days through 
Christmas.  As a result, we booked flights to Phoenix for the end of February, knowing that we probably would need a break from life, cold air and dreary skies.  Little did we know how badly we would need this trip after a week at home due to snow and ice.  Other than the airline tickets, everything was booked last minute.  And when I say last minute, I didn't even book the PTO until my flight cancelled and we shifted the trip a couple days.  I have a pretty tolerant boss.

We stayed in Scottsdale at the Hilton DoubleTree Paradise Valley Scottsdale Resort based on a recommendation from a friend.  We were able to used some HiltonHonors points and only paid about $400  total for two nights.  The resort is a lower price point than many of the surrounding properties.  We found it to be an excellent location, the room was very quiet, clean, private balcony, and lovely pool.  If you are looking to book a resort that you stay at the entire time, this probably isn't the one for you unless all you want to do is sit around the pool and stay in your room.  We knew we'd be exploring the area and would spend minimal amount of time at the hotel.  The JW Marriott Camelback Resort is beautiful and is more of a destination-type resort.  It backs up to trails, has golf courses, spas, large grounds and pools and is really a beautiful property.  But it comes at a heftier price tag (about $600+/night) and we just weren't looking for that.

Lots of friends sent restaurant recommendations.  There weren't enough meals to enjoy all the recommendations sent!  But here is where we ate:



The Mission in Old Scottsdale (the best guacamole I've ever eaten, even with my Covid-affected taste buds), Coconuts (Casual counter service with Hawaiian Cuisine), NY Bagels & Deli Scottsdale (New owners need to rename this shop as the pastries are amazing), Zinc Bistro in Kierland (there are multiple locations but this one is in a lovely outdoor shopping area, French food - We ate the wedge salad, French onion soup, and filet-YUMMY!).  One afternoon, we just weren't hungry for lunch so we went to the Old Town Scottsdale Sugar Bowl for ice-cream sundaes.  They did not disappoint.

Also recommended but we did not get to:

Pizzeria Bianco
Citizen Public House
Culinary Dropout
Diego Pop
Snooze (breakfast)
Barrio Cafe

Old Town Scottsdale is full of southwest style jewelry and art.  A bit kitchy, but fun to walk around after our lunch at The Mission.  We hiked Piestewa Peak-not for the faint of heart, or anyone who isn't accustomed to a pretty good cardio workout.  There are other trails that are more flat in the same area.  I'd recommend some sort of hiking-those Saguaro cacti are spectacular and I loved seeing them out in the natural environment, not just in the beautiful groomed landscapes of Scottsdale. We also drove over to Mesa to see our church's temple, which looks very different from most of our other temples.  We enjoyed a leisurely walk around the perimeter as the grounds were closed due to construction.  Shopping, hiking, eating, pool lounging, sunshine.  I'm sure there is lots more, but we had 40 hours in Phoenix and this felt like a nice balance between activities and lounging.


We headed to Sedona on our third day there.  It's about a 2-hour very easy drive.  Not much to look at other than the "forests" of the Saguaro cacti that once again, I was mesmerized by.  We drove directly to the Devil's Bridge trail.  We parked right on Dry Creek Road, as the parking lots were full.  The hike was close to 5 miles round trip.  More than half of that hiking was very easy along a road that is can also be accessed by 4WD vehicles.  In the hour or so period of time we were on this road, probably 7-8 jeeps/4WD's came by.  This trail is probably the most popular and busiest in Sedona because of the Instagram worthy pics on the bridge.  Yes, I walked on the bridge.  My husband stayed behind to take the picture.  No, it wasn't really Instagram worthy (my picture at least).  It's ok.  I love him anyway.  The hike was pretty easy until the last half a mile when there were some fairly steep rock-stair climbs with hands in front of you gripping the rocks.  After hiking Piestewa Peak the day before, it was not unnerving at all.  There was a line of about 20 people waiting to walk out on the bridge for a picture.  People were mostly courteous and chatty, except for this 20-something that tried to cut in front of everyone to direct traffic more efficiently.  People weren't buying it. 


In Sedona, we stayed at the Enchantment Resort.  It was a huge splurge for us.  We were only there one night and decided we would go for it.  I'm so glad we did.  The resort is in Boynton Canyon, just across the little creek from one of the four Sedona "vortexes".  I'm not going to say much about the vortexes as I don't fully understand them.  But, I was able to sit and medidate/pray under the Cuchina Woman and felt a very powerful peace and centering/balancing energy/spirit.  We were in Sedona for all of 30 hours, and the entire time I was close to tears.  It was so beautiful.  So peaceful.  We went on a mountain bike tour that was extremely challenging, and I am really proud of myself for doing it, despite needing to hop off many times when I couldn't make it up a hill or over a rock.  And I only fell once.  The tour was through Hermosa Tours.  It was a private tour, which gave me a lot of comfort that I wasn't trying to keep up with anyone other than Doug (he's used to waiting for me), and the guide that I paid for.

We ate both dinner and breakfast at the resort.  Food was upscale yet not overdone.  We loved it.  Oh, and we saw a shooting star walking back from dinner!  My husband and I looked at each other wondering if we both really saw what we saw.  He was convinced it was space junk.  I chose to use the word shooting star.  The stars were bright and magical.  Before we left town, we ate at The Hudson on a recommendation from our bike guide. The view, the food, and the Diet Coke exceeded expectations.  We did not explore any of the town. I hear there are lots of Southwestern galleries/arts & crafts.

If you don't have time or willingness to stay overnight in Sedona, I think you could do it as a day trip from Scottsdale.  Leave early, hike a trail, go have lunch, hike another trail and drive back.

Thinking over this trip, I'm feeling like the sweet fringe benefit of my age is willingness.  I was willing to do things that made me a little nervous because I wanted to experience it.  I wanted to feel it.  Being out of your comfort zone (within reason, I am not an adrenaline junkie), helps you feel alive.  But also, you are thinking, when am I getting back here?  Well, after our visit, we are definitely going back.  But, I might not get to Devil's Bridge again, and I don't think I'm hiking Piestewa Peak.  But I did it once.  And I'm glad I did.

Another sfb of this age is going on a trip without children.  Because, I would NEVER go on this trip WITH children.  I've always had the crazy fear of my children suffering tragedy right in front of me and not being able to do anything about it.  That's why I never brought them to the Grand Canyon or Niagra Falls.  And they only went to Zion's National Park because my mother took them while I stayed behind with newborn Maddy.

Sharing a fun outfit from Sunday afternoon/evening adventuring around the Phoenix area.  H&M quilted jacket (bought a little over a week ago and soldout online), Anthropologie Skirt, and Dolce Vita Sneakers.  I love the style of putting a sneaker with a skirt/dress.  Comfy and stylish.  I am 5'3" so sometimes I wonder if I look too frumpy?  But I like it and wear the style with confidence.

I'm happy to answer any questions about our trip.  Leave me a comment!

Nanette






Comments

Popular Posts