Thank you...

I am really missing my boys this week...but for a very selfish reason.

Partial pile that I pulled out from the
eaves of my daughter's room
Decorating for Christmas is a treat for me.  I enjoy it.  I decorate for me and for my family.  If others like it when they stop by, then good for them.  A friend of mine's husband asked her why she works so hard to decorate for the neighbors...thinking they're the ones that look at the front door all day long. But my girlfriend and I both agreed that we are the ones that get the most joy out of a new ornament, a beautiful greens arrangement, or like yesterday...my new star burlap ornament.  With that said....decorating for Christmas is ALOT of work.  And before the fun begins all the boxes need to be pulled out of their hiding places.  I don't have a basement, or a finished attic.  So literally, Christmas boxes are stashed in the garage, tops of closets, and in the storage area in the eaves of my daughter's room.

When my boys were Boys Scouts, they needed a family service project to earn their Family Life merit badge.  (Click here to read about my true feelings of Boys Scouts)  I came up with a brilliant idea. They would bring all the Christmas boxes out of their hiding places, including our 500 lb (exaggeration) christmas tree.  In addition, they would put together said christmas tree branch by branch.  And at the end of the season, put the boxes away, take the tree apart and do all with great care as my Christmas "stuff" is loved and adored.  They did such a good job....that they earned that job for subsequent years.  Even after son #1 left home, son #2 continued the chore.  Did they do it willingly?  Well...let's see.  In the past I probably would have said no.  Did they offer?  No.  Did I need to ask?  Yes.  Did I need to ask several times?  Probably.  But they did it.  And did it well.

I love hindsight.  Looking back on my sons helping with Christmas, I have nothing but fond memories. I'm not proud of the fact that no one in my house likes to help me decorate the Christmas Tree.  I burned that bridge when they were little nit-picking about which ornaments they were able to touch, where to hang them, what hangs front and center, high and low.  But they were such a great help! They did their part when asked, and son #1 even began hanging christmas lights outside on his own.  Why is it we don't appreciate our family, the little AND big things they do until they are no longer here to do it. The only way to correct that (in an insufficient and small way) is to acknowledge it now, and today that's my Sweet Fringe Benefit.  To my grown sons, thank you for all your help in past Christmases.  I have a new appreciation for how much you did around the house.

Outfit of the Day:  Just around home pulling boxes out, decorating, oh...and making 2 loaves of pumpkin bread. (Want the recipe?  Click here for that post.) Banana Republic gray cardigan, TJ Maxx White/Navy Polka Blouse, Loft Burnt Orange Corduroys, Loft bowtie belt and my Dansko clogs (not a fashion statement, but a necessity when working around the house all day). And an Emaack Designs statement necklace.

Here's a few photos of Christmas decorating that I've done today.



I changed out my basket in the kitchen.  These are artificial greens that I've collected over the years.  I'm a bit picky in finding realistic looking greens.  This year I found some at Michael's.  I use fresh greens quite a bit inside my house, but only where I can keep them in water all season.  I will show you that the first week of December.  Too early just yet.

I decorated my two stick trees in my kitchen.  These are a "kitchen theme."  I've been collecting ornaments for these for several years.  My sister sent me some kitchen tool ornaments several years ago which I've pictured.  I also love this whimsical baker ornament I found at TJ Maxx several years ago.


 I also set up my Patience Brewster Nativity set, with some artificial greens on the shelf below.

And one last picture, this is the top of my "burlap" tree in my front room.  I used green burlap ribbon, as well as some linen/burlap-like script ribbon I bought on clearance at Pottery Barn a couple of years ago.  I'm using the champagne-colored glitter floral to finish off the topper.


Cooking dinner for a couple missionaries from my church tonight.  It makes me feel closer to son #2...Yay!  Wish my sons were here to help...and to talk to...and to enjoy.  It's all good...I have my sfb to dwell on...

Nanette





Comments

Popular Posts