Dear Parent, Your homework is...

My daughter is planning her wedding.  She is 14 years old.

Let me explain.  Her elective class this year is Family and Consumer Science.  Her biggest assignment this semester is The Wedding Project.  With a budget of $22,200 (apparently that's the average cost of a wedding in Tennessee), she needs to plan everything from the dress to reception.  Not included in her budget is the engagement ring, dream proposal, first home and a wedding registry.  I told her I didn't approve of her groom...Zac Efron.  This project has been assigned for 5 weeks.  It's due on Friday.  It's about 3/4 finished.  Yikes...she's going to be up late the next two nights.

I used to get seriously bugged when school projects were assigned that my kids couldn't do on their own.  I'm not talking about the civil war battlefield project from 7th grade...that an over the top crafty parent could get involved and make it look like a National Historical Monument.  I'm talking about the George Washington Journal project from first grade, which required research on the internet.  Or the 4-H "how-to" speech assignment, that no kid in 3rd grade ever really made smoothies or cheese straws on their own, yet they'd win the competition.  (My kids instructional speeches were "How to be a babysitter" and "How to hit a baseball".  Neither of them were selected for the competition, but they spoke about what they knew...and not about what their parents knew and told them to say.)  I'm talking about the projects that on the rubric it should have stated:  "Dear Parents, Your homework is..."

I love having a daughter that is independent and capable.  This is her project.  If I got involved...would it be more comprehensive or realistic?  Yup.  But then she wouldn't learn anything.  I miss my little ones running off the bus with their papers waving so excited for me to see the smiley face on their spelling quiz.  But I don't miss the homework.  Heck...I couldn't even help my daughter with her Algebra 1 homework last night...she had to call her brilliant, chemical-engineer-majoring brother to get through the Chapter Review.  If this is what 49 means...no more "Dear Parent, Your homework is..." memos, then I'll take it.  And it's a big hats off Sweet Fringe Benefit for today!





















Outfit of the Day:  Had a lovely ladies lunch at The Puffy Muffin.  It's the local establishment with my favorite "Tea Room Sampler".  Loft boiled wool striped jacket from a couple years ago,TJ Maxx navy/tan houndstooth blouse, Loft Mustard Jeans from last year, Frye Shooties (last year), Emaack Designs copper/brown pearl multi-strand necklace.  I love the mix of patterns with the jacket and blouse.

I'm feeling the smallest tinge of guilt right now... I guess I should have been a better Mom and loved the learning process with my children.  It just wasn't a strong suit of mine.  I'm glad that part is coming to a close.

Not THAT much guilt.  I'm good.  Yup, glad it's over...

Nanette

Comments

  1. I am enjoying your blog every day! Some days I find myself saying "EXACTLY!", other days I just get to enjoy your experiences. I really enjoy the concept of making yourself look for the SFB every day! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments directly on my blog Connie! I get emails, texts and facebook messages each week from people like you that are enjoying this process with me. I so appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts