The babysitter's club?

I've made a lot of confessions on this blog.  Probably too many.  Here's another one...I've never been an engaging babysitter.  When I was in high school, I pretty much just kept kids from burning down their house and killing each other.  I didn't have a "babysitting bag" like my daughter does, and I certainly wouldn't set up a mock "Sports Center" set to entertain highly intelligent, active young boys I was babysitting.  When my children were young, I would trade babysitting with a friend.  What I enjoyed about that was seeing my children interact with friends.  I didn't get joy over me interacting with them. Horrible I know.  Where is my maternal instinct?  It stayed within the box of my blood-related children. When my youngest was 4 and we moved to Tennessee, I was months late for preschool registration.  A gal from church said I could join her "Joy School" group.  (Joy School is a home-school based preschool where the Mom's rotated teaching each week.)  I had done joy school with my oldest son. The thought of doing it again pretty much gave me a panic attack.  I remember Maddy praying each night "help me find a school."  And her prayers were answered with just a week to spare.

No I didn't take the picture of the car seat
because of the blog...I took the picture to
send to her Mom so she knew I had picked
her up from preschool.
My daughter is 14 now.  She does all the babysitting in this house.  Children love her...and she is so good with them! But today I had a real treat...I was blessed with a 3 year old companion all afternoon. I was the "babysitter."  We took a quick trip to Target, where I just loved all the adoring eyes looking at her.  How fun is it to have a 3 year old to talk to sitting in the front of the buggy (that's southern for shopping cart).  I love it.  I've played with the Santa Playmobile (it was the handiest doll house I could get to), sang my ABC's, cut the crust off a peanut butter sandwich, and talked until I was blue in the face.  My house is not open for the "babysitting" business, but it's been a joyful day.

I could name my little friend my Sweet Fringe Benefit today.  But in being true to my blog and myself, I must admit, that today's SFB is NOT having to buckle a child in and out of a car seat four to ten times a day.  I understand the importance of car seats...unlike my mother's generation that says "I raised 7 children without a car seat and they turned out just fine...." But...they are a pain.  And unless you've had a steady stream of children for the past 30 years, today's carseats will stump you, and you will hear your mother's voice run through your mind, "I can't get this darn thing to work."





















Outfit of the Day:  I enjoyed a beautiful ride this morning leaving me not much time to spare.  I got showered, dressed, hair and makeup in 20 minutes.  Loft orange blouse from many years ago, Loft scarf (couple years ago), Mushroom Velveteen Blazer, The Limited 917 Skinny Jeans, Frye Green Harness Boots (5 years ago).  My friend wanted to be in the picture too.  How cute!

Children bring a joy in to your life that you realize is missing when you don't have them in your home on a daily basis.  I'm so glad I'm old enough to recognize that now...

Nanette

Comments

  1. I am so loving reading your blog every day! I am in your exact stage of life and have been dreading my own fast approaching 50th birthday. I'm grateful for you glass half full outlook and find that is a much better way to face the new season of my own life. Keep up the great work, Nanette!
    PS-I'd love a step-by-step shopping tutorial some day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts