Monster-in-law?

Cousin's wedding last summer.  My
mother-in-law is in the middle.
I spent the day with my mother-in-law.  What thoughts does that provoke in you?  Would it be a positive response or a groan?  I think mothers-in-law have gotten a bad rap.

I've been married for 26 years.  I dated my husband for 6 years before that.  So that means I've known my mother-in-law for 32 years...more than two-thirds of my life!  I am as comfortable in her home as I am in my own mother's home.  She is a wonderful mother, Nana, and mother-in-law.  And I think I understand her a little more now that I'm a mother-in-law myself. 








I remember the day my son got married vividly.  Amazing...since my memory isn't so good anymore. It was only 6 months ago, so I should still remember it pretty well.  One thing I hope I will NEVER forget is the love I felt for my son's wife right after they were married.  As I gave her a hug, I remember being overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude and love for this beautiful young woman that had fallen in love with my own flesh and blood, and had just vowed to love him for eternity.  My words are insufficient to describe my feelings in that moment.  But I remember being a bit taken back by the rush of the emotion, and how surprised I was at the instantaneous feeling of "family" that I felt for her.  I hope my own mother-in-law felt this way on my wedding day.  I suspect she did...you can't fake the way she has acted towards me all these years.  She is the real deal.


Yes, I'm a mother-in-law.   But there are so many Sweet Fringe Benefits that come as a result of that title.  I love seeing my son's heart be settled on one beautiful girl for eternity.  I love watching them build their lives together.  I love hearing how happy she makes him. I love that I don't worry about him anymore (accept when he is driving to California in the middle of the night).  AND, I love the perspective that it's given me on my own mother-in-law, now that I am one.  Being 49 is pretty Sweet. 

Like I've said before, I'd go back to nursing my babies in the middle of the night in a heartbeat.  I'd go back to watching 8 baseball games in a weekend and toting a 5 year old to all of them.  I'd go back to having a grumbling teenager walk through the door in his smelly football gear and raiding the pantry.  But I can't.  So I have to find the good, the sweet fringe benefits of where I am today. 


Outfit of the Day:  Loft knit herringbone blazer,
J Crew Factory navy polka dot blouse, Joe Fresh Blackwatch Plaid corduroys, Black Frye Boots, Emaack Designs Multi-strand necklace.  Part of the day I ditched the blazer and wore my down coat again...we did a lot of walking outside today.  Man, I need my girlfriend's coat from yesterday.  So much more style than my down jacket.  Gotta work on that...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts