Do-over...

I became an Aunt when I was 10 years old.  As you can imagine...I wasn't a very good one.  For several years, my nieces and nephews were more like cousins than nephews!  Here comes another shameful confession...I saw them more as competition for my mother's attention, than I did a niece or nephew.  And I felt like that for years.  Yes, I did babysit, and enjoy them visiting.  They were cute.  I thought their Playmobile was pretty cool.  By the time I was 18 years old, I had 3 nephews and 3 nieces.  My mother enjoyed them WAY more than she did me:  a self-centered, obnoxious know-it-all teenage daughter.  When I got married, I quickly realized that I wouldn't merit visitation until I provided grandchildren.  Our family's first big reunion was on a houseboat on Lake Powell.  Doug and I had been married only a year or two.  Our sleeping positions were on the rooftop with 10 grandchildren ...stepping over us all night long to get to the ladder.  We knew our place.  Now...please don't read this with any kind of malice for me.  Like I said, my feelings are shameful.  I'm embarrassed.  I have never been a very good Auntie. I've never been as kind or as generous to my nieces and nephews as my siblings have been to my children. I don't know... maybe it's because I was #6 out of 7 children and had that "baby" mentality.  Or just flat out selfish.

But, I've noticed a change in the last few years. I feel like I'm getting a second chance.  My nieces and nephews now have children of their own.  I'm a GREAT Aunt...21 times over, and four more babies on the way!  I don't get to see them very often...but I just love seeing their pictures on facebook, hearing their stories, and I'm beginning to feel like there is hope for me afterall.  Maybe I missed the Auntie chance.  But I can be a GREAT Aunt, and do it better.

What prompted this post today was a visit from my oldest nephew, his wife, and their four delightful children this past weekend.  I was so excited for their visit!  Our house has become so quiet...so tame (except when cheerleaders visit...).  How fun it was to hear little kids running around upstairs at 7:30 on a Saturday morning.  They actually talked to me as I made breakfast for them.  Sitting with my three year old great niece, and listening to her talk, and watch a lady bug crawl all over my hand...just SWEETNESS!  And witnessing my own daughter renew a bond with a cousin, to hear them giggle and scheme together was just wonderful.
Getting ready to Trick-or-Treat

Getting old can be painful...and not just in the physical way.  Reflecting on the past and realizing mistakes and silly assumptions, behaviors and attitudes is painful.  But I have a second chance with being an Auntie.  I'm older yes, but I've seen the error of my ways.  We don't always get do-overs. But in this case, my nieces and nephews having their own children gives me that opportunity.   It's a Sweet Fringe Benefit of my stage of life, and I'm so grateful for it.  Our doors are open for visitors.  I hope more little grand nieces and nephews will be coming to visit!






















My outfit for church yesterday...The Limited knit black and cream high waisted skirt, TJ Maxx black jersey knit t-shirt, Mushroom color pleather jacket, Emaack Designs Moonstone/Onyx Necklace, Black Shooties.  I love this skirt! I bought it last year.  I had to show you a picture from behind as well.  I think its really strategic to have the black flowers on the front turn in to the black solid on the back...thus a more slimming effect.

Today's Outfit of the Day...Loft Sweater and Blouse, The Limited 917 Skinny Jeans, Vince Camuto Boots, Emaack Designs Ruby Quartz/Marcasite Necklace.  The fall weather here is just making me so happy.  High 60's, sunshine, perfect for light sweaters and boots.

Maybe you have confessions of past behaviors or attitudes. Take the opportunity to make it right.  It's okay to change...

Nanette




Comments

Popular Posts