So glad my last one's a girl...

I saw this picture on Instagram yesterday.  It evoked all types of painful, agonizing memories!  And from the majority of comments that people made, it had the same affect on others. Both my boys were Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.  My daughter was a Brownie and a Girl Scout.  What is up with all the patches?  None of my kids even cared about them.  It was only before a Board of Review that I'd scramble to get them sewed, sometimes glued on.  It was always a panic of "Where does the patch go? Is it the right number?  Where is your Scout shirt?" Seriously, my heart is racing and I'm getting flushed just thinking about it.  (It's not a hot flash, more like a panic attack)  BUT, I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT ANY OTHER WAY.  I have absolutely no regrets about my children's involvement in Scouting.  It's actually something I'm very proud of...and they are as well.  Both my boys became Eagle Scouts.  Yes, it took some encouragement, prodding, nagging, pleading, and a little bribing. The experiences that they had were absolutely life changing...in a very real sense.  Young moms out there....ITS WORTH IT!






50 mile hike at Big South Fork
Last day on the trail, an ice cream surprise was packed
in to reward the boys.  


When my boys were 15 and 12, they participated in a 50 mile hike.  It was the A-team of Scoutmaster leadership for sure, but the trip was still extremely difficult for all involved.  Think bees, 98 degrees and humid, water sources dried up, etc.  The best thing about it was my boys were together.  Harrison and Matthew shared some pretty tender moments that years later they still reflect on.

Harrison and Sweet Caroline!






Harrison's eagle project was organizing, supplying, staffing and running water stations for a new 5K in town benefiting Best Buddies.  THE ENTIRE COMMITTEE WAS YOUNG MOTHERS.  Those meetings made him crazy! He couldn't believe how much they talked about every little detail.  (duh, right?)  It still makes me laugh. But he did it, and learned so much.






At the time of their Boards of Review and Courts of Honor, there was more a feeling of relief than accomplishment.   It's a long haul!  There are plenty of t's to cross and i's to dot.  Paperwork. Trips to the Scout Shop.  Forms to sign.

I don't have to sew patches on shirts and sashes ANYMORE!  Yup, I'm 49.  And that's a really good thing when it comes to Scouting in my house.  That means we've done the work, have the certificate, AND the boys have acquired the character traits that come from the dedication required to be an Eagle Scout.  That's for sure a Sweet Fringe Benefit of my stage of life. 




















I love my bright cobalt blue pants by JCP at JC Penny.  I've mentioned that brand before.  It's a preppy line that has some great basic pieces for really reasonable prices.  Great quality as well.  These are from last year.  This year they only come in neutrals.  Click here for a link.  The navy striped sweater/blazer is from Ann Taylor last year on clearance, but there's plenty of them out there now, like this one at Target. The knit top underneath is a gray geometric almost polka-dot from Loft last year.  I'm wearing two Emaack Designs necklaces.  It's one way of getting the "statement necklace" look, without getting a new necklace.

I like to mix patterns. One of the keys is not mixing too many colors AND patterns.  The pants are bright, so I went with neutrals on top...even though they are different patterns, I don't think it's overwhelming.  Grays, tans, navys, camel, black, brown, even blush...all neutrals and can look great with a bright color.

Still having a slight panic attack over the patches...ugh...I'm so happy I'm 49!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts