Halloween...

My sister and I circa 1967
Just like everything else in life, Halloween has changed.  As a child, it meant costume parades and parties at school and Trick or Treating.  We had church socials during the season that involved costumes, donuts on a string, and bobbing for apples.  I wanted one of those cool costumes with a cheap plastic mask and plastic jumpsuit that most everyone wore.  But that didn't fly in my house growing up...I was #6 out of 7 kids...so there was always a costume to be found upstairs in the attic.  I realize that the reflection of the "good old days" isn't always 20/20.  Let me think... there were many years I had to wear my snow pants under my costume that just ruined the effect.  One year I ran through the neighbor's overflowing septic tank...serves me right for not staying on the driveway and front walk.  And when I think of bobbing for apples...putting my face in a bucket full of water, saliva, hair and donut backwash....I just think ew.  So I get it...when you start remembering the details...the old days weren't ideal. Oh but so fun.  

 Fast forward to when my children were all at home.  My fondest Halloween memories were in Atlanta. That's where all the neighborhood kids started and ended Halloween night together.  Hot dogs, chili and corn bread was always the menu, and it was always at the neighbors.  The parties at school were not "Halloween Parties."  They were Fall parties.  Some years, the kids could wear a costume for their favorite literary character.  (I know it's supposed to be about education, but really?  Did the administration really think that on Halloween day any learning was really going to take place?  What happened to the costume parade and decorating pumpkin cookies.)  The reality was, my husband rarely made it home in time to see the kids before they went out trick or treating.  In Atlanta on Halloween day, if my husband left the office anytime after 3:00 pm, it was a 2-3 hour commute.  He doesn't miss that, and neither do I!  I do miss my little "Madeline" in her fleece coat and hat, the army man, Harry Potter, The Wizard, and the vampire.  I miss Captain Hook and Peter Pan.  I miss Princesses, Elizabeth the Pirate, Thing 1 and Thing 2.  You get the picture.  



Today, there were no parties at school.  I went for a walk and to bootcamp.  I made 4 batches of blackberry jam.  Trick or Treating is postponed until tomorrow because of weather.  But...my daughter's friends are arriving as I write for a little Halloween get together.  I've made chili and baked potatoes. We are going to attempt a pinterest craft of Halloween Oreos.  They are looking for a Halloween movie to watch, and I'm just so happy that there is some sort of Halloween celebration.  No costumes.  I suppose I'm grateful for that one...since the theme of most female costumes these days is some sort of "Sexy ___________" (cop, waitress, maid, Dorothy, pirate, Little Red Riding Hood...you name it, they have it at Party City).  I miss the innocence that Halloween used to be.

Today's SFB are all the sweet pictures I've seen on Instagram and Facebook of darling little children, and adults in fun costumes.  I don't have a costume.  Call me lazy, uncreative or "too cool"...whatever the excuse.  My husband and daughter went to the church Trunk or Treat party as Red Sox players.  My son and his wife went to a party last weekend as Clark Kent and Lois Lane...so fun!  For now, the days of making costumes is over for me.  I hope I get the chance to make more for little ones!  This picture is the SWEETEST FRINGE BENEFIT of them all...my girlfriend made this Little Red Riding Hood costume for her granddaughter.  This is what Halloween is to me.  Sweet little ones innocently dressed up for fun.  It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to an opinion because I'm 49...you may not agree...but Halloween can't get much better than this.  

The Outfit of the Day suited the weather.  Loft black and white Moto-Sweater, Loft black and tan striped t-shirt.  Loft cranberry Modern Skinny Cordoroys, Hunter rain boots, Emaack Designs Botswana Agate necklace.

I overheard some women talking today at Loft.  They looked a few years older than me, not much.  One lady said, "I don't understand the styles these days.  My daughter tells me I don't have to be so matchy-matchy."  Another woman concurred and said, "I think that's just the younger crowd's style.  I don't think women of our generation can get away with it." Hmmmm...man I wish I had business cards for my blog.  Yes! You can get away with these styles!  Don't over think it.  It actually makes dressing each morning so simple.  Pieces from your closet from a couple years ago can be paired with current items, and they don't have to be the same color red, or blue.  In my outfit, I'm pairing neutrals on the top, with the cranberry cordoroys.  You can do this!

The girls are getting loud...did I really say I was glad to have a Halloween celebration?
Nanette











Comments

Popular Posts