You gotta expect it every now and then...

It's usually mid-afternoon when I sit down to write the SFB post each day.  How I arrive at my sfb each day varies.  From the daily conversation with my best girlfriend, something I've seen on facebook, to life events or just something that's consumed me the past couple of days, you get it straight without much sugar coating.  As my profile states, I'm finding the sweeter side of middle age.  I'm trying to like lemons...just for the lemons...instead of making them in to lemonade.  The process has been healthy both body and spirit.  I've felt a positive change in my daily life.  But...

I'm struggling today.  I've noticed my dry skin.  If I don't put lotion on my arms and legs...my skin looks like snakeskin.  That never used to happen!  I know there's a lot of science behind my skin losing elasticity and moisture.  Science, schmience.  I don't like it.  My neck and shoulders hurt.  It's been a chronic issue for a couple years now, that flares up from time to time.  I'm nursing a calf injury that prevents me from running. My married son keeps getting older and transitioning further in to adulthood. My daughter is another day closer to leaving me.  My husband doesn't understand why I can only wash my hair three times a week without it getting dry and brittle. And tonight, I'm having my gray roots colored which should have been done 3 weeks ago.

Please tell me others have days where the aging process seems to get the best of them?

I know, my blog is supposed to be uplifting.  But I promised honesty.  And today, this is the best I could do.  I'm starting in the right here, right now.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is my favorite citrus orange lotion a good friend gave me, ice paks, a foam wedge to stretch my calf and neck, Kerastase Conditioner, and a good hair colorist.  And I must add, a societal environment that accepts a discussion about this aging process is an sfb for my generation and not my Mom's.  I ALWAYS feel better when I know that others have similar problems.  And I'm grateful that there are products that will lessen the burden.

I recently read a post on the only blog I subscribed to, StyleBlueprint Nashville.  It was entitled "Top 5 Fashion Mistakes That Age You".  Within the 5th mistake was quoted "talking about your age all the time is, in fact, aging."  Yikes.  Guess I blew that one today!  I worked with a woman that said, at least once every time I talked to her, "I just can't do what I used to do," "I don't have the energy I used to," or "I'm getting too old for this."  I really try to omit those phrases from my conversations, ESPECIALLY, in my head!

I'd love to hear your comments on what products or activities help you feel younger, or lessen the burden of the aging process.  Please...no plastic surgery, botox, weeks at spas, or young boyfriends.


I brought my daughter to the orthodontist this morning. Helped a friend with wedding DIY crafts.  I went with the skirt because it's almost 80 degrees again today.

Loft denim jacket (5+ years old), Loft bead embellished t-shirt (5+ years old), Loft black/brown striped knit skirt, black Frye lace-up boots (3+ years ago), Emaack Designs Turquoise necklace.

Thanks for the vent...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts