I Often Go Walking...



Emmaljunga Stroller
Matthew Circa 1991
When I was pregnant with Matthew, I wanted an Emmaljunga Classic Stroller.  At the time, it was the Mercedes of all strollers, at least in my eyes. With oversized wheels and classic 50's styling, this was at the top of my baby wishlist.  We were living in a small suburb outside of Boston, right near the town center.  I knew I would be pushing that stroller up and down the streets of town to get a gallon of milk, go to the post office, to visit Nana, to the park, even walking to my baby-friendly office.  I was so pleased when my sweet mother-in-law (and that is NOT tongue-in-cheek, she is sweet!  I LOVE her!) surprised me with it for my baby shower.  Seriously, I wore the tires out!!!  I really think Doug and I enjoyed the walking more than the babies did.  As the kids got older, going for a walk just wasn't as relaxing. We might have one in the stroller, one whining to be in the stroller, one riding a bike (and not watching where they were going), and gosh, it just seemed to turn in to a shreik-fest (which I'm not proud of).  Then they became teenagers, and wouldn't come at all!  Last Christmas break the boys did humor me with a walk.  I didn't have to shreik once to "look out for the car", "put the rock down", "stay with us", "or "hold my hand"! And then this morning I was reminded of Doug and I's walks in our "early years", and it has made me smile.  I just love these sfb's!
THE stroller on Nantucket
My boys grown up!

My high end stroller is long gone, as are my babies. But I still enjoy going for a walk.  After Doug brought our daughter to early morning seminary class this morning, he invited me for a walk. We enjoyed the quiet morning air and light rain as we strolled with the dog at 6 am.  Usually my mornings are boot camp, running or a ride. Doug is a runner and a cyclist as well.  Our morning routines have been staggered and structured around our children for so long!  Starting our day together is a Sweet Fringe Benefit of my age. I don't think it will be a regular occurrence; might be a glimpse into our lives 20 years from now.  But for today, like any sfb, I will take it. Love it. Embrace it. 


The humidity and warmth in the South has returned. We will be in the 80's all week. BUT IT'S OCTOBER!  And I'd really like to dress like its Fall. I pulled out this LOFT knit dress from my closet. I bought it last summer when the heat was CRAZY and so were my hot flashes. It's very lightweight and comfortable.  I added the classic jean jacket (Banana Republic, at least 5 years old), a statement necklace, and the most amazing Vince Camuto Peep-Toe Shooties (link to a similar shoe, but mine are last year's with a peep-toe).  I looked like I was dressed for October, but had the weight of a summer outfit.  Maybe you have a lightweight knit dress that can take you in to fall by adding a simple jean jacket or cardigan as well.

Going for a walk is seemingly such an everyday simple occurence.  It was just a different routine that sparked these musings today.  Maybe that's where you'll find an sfb today too...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts