It's really not about the bike...

Anyone who is friends with me on Facebook or Instagram knows my husband and I rode 70 miles on Saturday in the Scarecrow Ride.  I've been cycling for 15 months now, and it's the farthest I've ridden to date.  Doug is far more fit than I am, but I so enjoyed spending the day with him.  This post is not about cycling, however.  In my second blog post (click here), I talked about my new hobby being a Sweet Fringe Benefit of my stage of life.  Today's blog post goes further than just the bike.

At mile 50 in the middle of Amish Country
My 14 year old daughter was not pleased about my husband and I leaving for the day.  She was actually pretty annoyed that we wouldn't be home until 4:00 pm. "I hate when you leave me home all day long." Ok, first of all, I don't think we've ever done that. Second, you're 14.  

Third...leads me to today's sfb. Now that I'm 49, as long as I'm not abandoning my motherhood duties and being irresponsible, it's time for my husband and I to start being a little selfish of our relationship.  How many people do you know that their kids leave the nest, and their marriage leaves the nest as well? You have to find commonality other than your children.  It's a really odd stage of life....middle-age.  Just by the name...I'm right in the middle.  I am blessed to still have both of my parents living.  And I also have one child at home, and two spreading their wings and flying to their own nests.  I've learned so much from my own parents.  Even with seven children, and their devotion to us, they always encouraged our independence and separate lives.  I think as children, we want to be the center of our parents lives.  It really used to bug me when my Mom and Dad couldn't come to visit me until "the water was turned off". (They live in a rural farming community, everything revolves around water.)  I'd think, "Well, aren't I more important than the garden?"  But really, I wanted my parents involvement on my own terms, and not theirs.  As a child (even an adult child), you want to think that you ARE your parents lives.  I don't quite understand these feelings 100%, but I'm getting there.  Being able to be both an adult child, and a mother of adult children, is bringing an understanding that I hadn't experienced before.  Middle-age truly is a Sweet Fringe Benefit of life.  

When we returned home, our daughter had cleaned the kitchen, her room, finished laundry and had the scented candles glowing.  I think we're leaving her in charge more often!  Just a few pictures from the ride...yes, I took them as I was riding...













I thought on Mondays I would post what I wore to church on Sunday.  I LOVE this little bow-tie belt from LOFT.  I bought a large so I could wear it both at my natural waist, and a bit lower in belt loops.  I'm a huge fan of camel and grey color combinations.  I think it's very classic.

LOFT grey peplum sweater, LOFT bow-tie belt, LOFT camel pencil skirt, grey tights, burgandy suede-patent leather sandals/shoes. Let me say that now that I'm looking at this picture, I think the grey tights with the grey sweater is a little too matchy for me.  I think I would have rather a brown or navy tight.  Next time.

I'm finding the best, the sweetest fringe benefits of my age, instead of focusing on the mother's angst of a teenager, or mother's heartache for her missing children.  We can all find an sfb in our daily life if we look.  Thanks for indulging me as I find mine...

Nanette

Comments

  1. Thank you so so so much for this insight, and i hope you do more soon .....

    Child safety | Kids belt for children

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts