The lighter side...

I really don't want to sound like a downer.  I've had a really great day so far!!!  But underlying is this missing of my sons.  I'm making a pot roast today.  Not that it was their favorite, but they appreciated the hearty meal.  My daughter enjoys a good dinner, and of course my husband does as well.  But there's something about feeding hungry young men that makes cooking worthwhile.

I'm using The Pioneer Woman's recipe.  (click here for the link)  A couple things I LOVE about this recipe.  First, it suggests that you serve it with mashed potatoes, which is so yummy.  The potatoes do get mushy when you put them in the crockpot.  Second, it calls for fresh rosemary...I had never thought of putting fresh rosemary in a pot roast. Third, the recipe has you saute the onions and carrots before putting them in the crockpot.  I didn't have any carrots this morning when I started it, so I just sauted them after I bought them mid-day and added them.  Look how beautiful the veggies are with a little caramalization from the saute.  I can hardly wait for dinner!

 Let me explain a little further.  I don't LOVE to cook.  But I've realized over the years that cooking for my family is a way I show them that I love them and am thinking about them.  That's one of the reasons why it's so hard when I fix a meal, and it isn't appreciated or enjoyed.  I feel like my love is being rejected.  I think son #2 understood this.  The last couple of years he was home, on occasion he would call and ask, "Are you cooking tonight?" If I was, he wouldn't even ask if he could go to taco bell with friends, or SATCO (it's a Nashville thing).  I don't think my cooking is that great that he preferred it over one of his favorite commercial eateries.  BUT, I think he understood the work I put in to it, and how much it meant to me to have him home to enjoy it.

So where is the Sweet Fringe Benefit in making pot roast and mourning the fact that my boys aren't here to enjoy it?  I don't have a good answer.  I know it will be delicious.  I know Maddy and Doug will enjoy it (if they don't eat too many snacks before dinner time...ARGH).  I do know that this dinner will last for 3 meals...either in leftover lunches or repeats at the nighttime hour.  When the boys were home, I'd actually have to use two Chuck Roasts in order to get an additional meal from it.  Definitely liking that we eat a lot less red meat, since I don't have those protein deprived adolescent mouths to feed.  Ok, I'm going with it.

Today's sfb of my age is a lower grocery bill, lighter meals, and more leftovers.  Less trips to the grocery store (which Doug and Maddy really hate).  More fish, more salads.  (Accept for today of course...but overall it is true).  I enjoy hearty comfort food.  But we eat it far less often, which our hearts are happy about.  No one in my family needs those kind of calories like the boys did.  Living on the lighter side of the food chain is a good thing....as long as I don't start eating candy.  Ugh...that's a subject for another day.

Another beautiful day in Middle-Tennesse.  I'm so happy to be able to put on cordoroys!  These are from the Joe Fresh line carried at JC Penny.  The houndstooth pattern is huge for fall...although in the South, you have to be careful not to wear it with maroon, because then you look like a University of Alabama fan.  I paired the pants with a simple black knit t-shirt, and my jean jacket.  Banana Republic statement necklace.

I'm just going to mention the rule about the jean jacket. NEVER WEAR A JEAN JACKET WITH DENIM.  I'm not a big believer in a lot of fashion rules...but seriously, don't. Some even say don't wear a jean jacket with colored denim.  I don't think that's too offensive.  But please, no jean jackets with blue jeans/jean skirt.

Looking forward to my heart-unhealthy, comfort-giving meal. Hey...portion control and moderation right?

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts