Definitely not Pinterest perfect...

Hummingbird Cake

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm preparing for a brunch in my home for 25 women tomorrow morning. Hostessing and entertaining does not stress me out too much.  I grew up in a home that always seemed to have a party on the horizon.  Not that my parents or family were big partiers...good grief we're Mormon!  But just because alcohol isn't served, doesn't mean my mom didn't know how to host a party. The church youth socials were at our pool, people used our backyard for wedding receptions, summer barbecues were often, and Christmas parties were almost annual.  With seven children, between weddings, graduations, birthday parties and baby showers, my mother had enough experience to be a professional entertainer.  When I was in high school, I threw a dinner party for a group of girlfriends. When I look back on it, that's pretty strange.  I'm not sure why I did...I just saw my Mom doing it and wanted to entertain as well.

Fast forward 30 years later.  Whether I'm hostessing a Christmas Party, a training brunch for church, a wedding party, a jewelry open house, or birthday party, I'm glad I've had many years of experience. Believe me, my family will concur that you better watch out during crunch time...when planning turns in to doing, but it doesn't make me lose sleep, and I just love having people in my home.  It's a Sweet Fringe Benefit of my age...experience paired with a comfortableness of who and what I am.  Let me make it clear, my events are FAR from pinterest perfect.  Pinterest is a great invention...as long as you use it for inspiration, and not comparison.  If I thought a party needed to be worthy of pinterest, then I would never entertain.  I promise I will post pictures from the brunch on Monday...they won't be worthy of the "pin it" button, but you may see how simple I do things.  Really, a party is a time to serve your friends and family.  It's a time to enjoy one another's friendship.  To celebrate.  Don't let the intimidation of needed perfection keep you from enjoying this fading tradition.

I headed out early today to run some last minute errands for the brunch.  Not sure why I went for a skirt...I was dressed a bit fancy for all the cooking I've been doing.  I took the jacket off after my errands and have been quite comfortable all afternoon.  The skirt is from Loft last season.  It's a ponte knit...which has lots of stretch and very comfortable.  I love the multi-directional stripes.  J Crew Factory cheetah print blouse, Loft military style black jacket from at least 5 years ago, Vince Camuto Boots, Emaack Designs multi-strand brown pearl necklace.

The Hummingbird Cake just came out the oven. The house is smelling so yummy....

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts