Loving the downhill...

First of all, I am fine.  When I began this blogging adventure, I promised honesty:    honesty in my feelings, in my experiences, in my views on aging, in life.  Yesterday was a yucky day.  Are you confused?  Read yesterday's post entitled "An sfb for all..."

I had another great ride this morning.  Earlier this week, I rode south on Gosey Hill Road, which previously I had only ridden north.  As I was riding north on Gosey Hill this morning, I commented to my friend that I didn't realize what a nice downhill most of the road was, until I road it the opposite direction on Tuesday.  She said, "Ya, isn't that just like life?"  Oh!  Brilliant!  I'm stealing that for today's post.

Since I've been blogging, I've had some really great days.  Looking for a daily sfb has been uplifting, enlightening, reflective and humbling.  Until yesterday,  I didn't have any meltdowns or pity parties. Let's just say, that it has been a nice downhill ride for a couple weeks.  And then yesterday hit.  Again, I AM FINE.  You know those days, when the combination of irritation, emotions, disappointment, then add hormones...then wham.  It's just not good.  But when I'm riding, I love being at the top of a hill.  I actually feel empowered as I near the top of a nasty hill, knowing that yet again, mind has conquered body.  And I know that is the way in life as well.  So today I enjoyed a downhill after my climb yesterday:  a great ride and friendship, bootcamp, helping a friend, serving my family, a heart to heart with my daughter.

For some of you, this lesson may not take you until 49 to learn.  But for me, perspective is a Sweet Fringe Benefit (sfb) of my age.  I'm going to downshift in to low, put my head down, and grind it out to the top on those nastier days, and enjoy the beauty, joy and sometimes thrill of the downhill on the other side.  I know when I was "less seasoned" (aka younger), a day like yesterday would effect me for days.  I'd be mad at the offenders (or that I thought they were), stew in my funk, and just be foul for days, maybe weeks.  I'm NOT perfect.  I can get better.  But there just isn't enough time or energy for those bad days to last any longer than necessary.  

"There is enough heartache is this life without us adding to it our bitterness and grievances."  
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

There are so many pretty things in my closet and in the stores for fall right now.  I need to remember that there will be days in January I won't want to get out of my yoga pants and down jacket because it's so cold.  So I'm going to be happy for the lower humidity, even if it is still warm.  My outfit, even though not very summery, was plenty cool, especially in all the air conditioning (that refridgerated section in Costco is almost unbearable).

Joe Fresh Black polka dot jeans, J Crew Factory pink cardigan, Loft white blouse, Emaack Designs statement necklace.  Simple.  Comfortable.  My Style.  

And, just to clarify, my analogy of climbing up hill and enjoying the downhill, does NOT mean I'm over the hill...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts