Adapt or die trying...

I mentioned before that I attend a bootcamp several times a week.  The fieldhouse where I workout has been going through major updating....new equipment, new floors, new turf.  As a matter of fact, the turf isn't ready yet.  The last two mornings we haven't been able to use the turf...which is half the size of a football field.  My trainer has actually been quite creative in designing workouts that incorporate both strength and cardio...without using the main part of the fieldhouse.  One word came to mind this morning...adapt.  Just because you have to adapt, doesn't mean you can't be successful.  I've continued to ponder on this word all day long.

We are going through a sort of adaptation/adjustment in my house with my parents moving in with me. That's certainly related to me being 49 years old.  No one gave up a bedroom or a bathroom to have them move in.  It hasn't been that dramatic of an adjustment.  But we are watching new TV channels now, and parking two cars in the garage.  Two small ways that we are adapting.  Needing to adapt to something new doesn't always come easy at age 49.

My father is "adapting" to using a Mac computer instead of a PC.  They are solely using their cell phone to communicate.  My father is learning how to get around in a new community...without a map. How well would you navigate without your iphone or GPS if you arrived in a new community?  My mom is learning a new laundry routine (those front loaders ARE very confusing at first...hard to tell which one is the washer and which one is the dryer), an entire new kitchen system, AND trying to make Christmas stockings.  Now that's adapting.

For a couple of weeks now, I've been thinking about how easy it is to remain comfortable, stay the same, do what I've always done.  There's a safety in being in a routine.  (Click here to read the blog post "Didn't you do that last year?")  But I don't think we learn anything new if we stay the same.  How do we ever improve our patience if we never learn how to use a new phone, or a new computer?  How do you grow in relationships if there is never any problems to resolve?  Now that's stale.

I've got a long way to go.  Heck, my parents are still adapting, learning new things, and they are 89! My Sweet Fringe Benefit today is my parents example of being willing to be uncomfortable...to adapt. I KNOW that it is exhausting, but they haven't given up.  They keep trying to adapt.  How blessed am I for this example.  I'd rather be a little uncomfortable and adapt to something new, conquer it and feel the triumph of success, than stay the same, stay put, and say I'm done.  My parents haven't...and I won't.  It would be like the trainer cancelling the workout because he couldn't do the same thing he had done last week.  He would never do that.  And I won't either.

Outfit of the Day:  Such a beautiful day in Middle Tennessee.  I didn't need a coat over my striped sweater!  Ann Taylor navy/white striped sweater/blazer, Loft geometric print grey/white t-shirt, Loft purple skinny cords, JCrew Factory Statement necklace.  All from last year...

I've been busy baking my signature raspberry cookies.  I've made 3 double batches so far...and I'm sure I'll make at least that many more.  I enjoy it though...kind of therapeutic.  Gearing up for a houseful at the end of the week...now that's adapting...

Nanette


Comments

  1. My friend Leigh encouraged me to come check you out. I don't know exactly how to follow blogs and come back and read them but if it goes on FB I'll find it! ;)

    Cute outfit and most importantly what's that raspberry cookie recipe? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment LuciaE! You can sign up to receive an email of my blog each morning on the right hand side of the blog "follow by email". And so sorry to say....my raspberry cookie recipe is about the ONLY recipe I don't share. Check out the chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe on this blog post http://sweetfringebenefits.blogspot.com/2013/09/tis-better-to-have-loved.html. If you'd like to share your favorite post on facebook, click on the facebook link at the bottom of the post, and a pop up window will walk you through the process! Tag me and I will enter you in the GIVEAWAY!

      Delete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts