Can I have a spot?

The centerpiece of fresh greens in my dining room
Last Monday, I made a commitment to "not giving in" to the voices of nausea talking to me at Bootcamp telling me that I was too old and out of shape to continue.  (Click here for the link)  I knew from past experience that after two weeks of hitting the workouts harder, and watching what I ate, I'd feel so much better.  I even committed to the burpee challenge...one burpee for every calendar date this month.  Tonight I will do 10!  It's starting to heat up!

Because of the ice storm over night, there were only four of us at bootcamp this morning.  Great...that meant lots of extra time for the trainer to watch me and make sure I was sticking with it.  (Not great) We worked heavy on our legs...one was a set of 95 lb front squats, repeated in four rounds.  By the time I got to the last round, I knew willpower alone wasn't going to get me through.  And I didn't want to hurt myself.  But I wanted to finish.  A simple glance at the trainer, and pointing to the bar, he walked over, and I asked for a spot.  I don't do that often.  I usually think, "Eh, I can do it myself."  The last rep, I could feel him slightly lifting the bar as I raised up, and I realized today's sfb.

Being old enough to ask for help, or a "spot" is a good thing...not a bad thing.  Asking for a "spot" builds relationships in your marriage, family and friendships.  I don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself.  And I knew that my legs weren't going to last, so having that extra lift was exactly what I needed.  Here's a lesson I'm still learning...ask for the spot BEFORE you begin to fail.  Like, during this holiday season, and the "to do" list keeps getting longer, and the time keeps getting shorter, the time to ask for help is now...calmly...and not on the 23rd, when the bar is too heavy and you're sinking fast ready to crash and burn.  Acknowledging your limits, asking for the spot is my Sweet Fringe Benefit of being 49 years old today.




I put several Christmas boxes together today.  I use the clementine boxes, and line them with a fresh Christmas dishtowel.  Inside is a fresh greens arrangement, some clementines, homemade jam and a package of my traditional Swedish Shortbread cookies.  I know I'd love the gift if someone gave it to me...







Outfit of the Day:  Talbot's wool navy blazer, Halogen White/Navy polka dot blouse, Mossimo Navy/Black flocked jeans, Emaack Designs Statement necklace, red snakeskin pumps.  We are going to the Donny and Marie Christmas Show tonight.  Not sure what to expect, but I'm looking forward to an evening out celebrating the Christmas season. The attire for the evening is "anything goes" I'm sure.  But I think my outfit is festive..."holiday casual".  When finding an outfit for a holiday event, especially a more casual one, I love picking one piece that is expected to be more formal, and pairing it with "everyday" items.


Trying to take my own advice, I need to assess where I am with all the Christmas "to do's" and see if I need a spot...

Nanette




Comments

Popular Posts